This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Did Your Baby Have Reflux?

KayJay

KayJay Enthusiast

My baby is just breastfeed right now but she has bad reflux. I know she is not getting any gluten and I know that this is totally different from Celiac. But...I am still worring about my baby. :rolleyes: I just don't want her to be celiac too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

my daughter had severe reflux as a baby. She was prescribed Zantac, Reglan, and we gave her lots of Mylicon drops. I wasn't gluten-free at the time though, so she was getting gluten through the breast milk. She most def. is gluten intolerant and on a very strict gluten-free diet now and doing very well.

e&j0304 Enthusiast

My son also has reflux. He had been on prevacid. They said he would outgrow the reflux, but he has not and he'll be a year old in a couple of weeks. We are currently trying to keep him gluten-free to see if it helps and I have noticed an improvemen although it isn't gone. He really doesn't eat any solid foods at all, just breastmilk, so basically I'm trying to keep my diet gluten-free!

My son is very behind in his eating and his drs. think it's due to reflux and the fact that he associates eating with pain. I don't know if this is all because of gluten or not. In addition to the reflux, he has watery diarrhea daily.

I don't suppose I really answered your question, but that's my experience. I wish you the best of luck with your dd and hopefully she doesn't have celiac.

Good luck

Shannon

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

My dd had reflux for the first few months and then it got a little better. Her Dr. put her on pepcid and it seemed to help some. It wasn't until a few months after she stopped nursing that she stopped developing other symptoms and additional allergies.

You might want to check out the Le Leche Leauge website. Open Original Shared Link

They used to have some good infomation about the nursing mother's diet etc. My dd Dr. had me look at dairy as a culprit. I wish I had know about gluten at the time. But, I can't tell you what a blessing it is to have our family gluten-free now. :)

KayJay Enthusiast

Thanks I was just hoping she would have a strong stomach and so far she hasn't at all. She gets diarrhea every 3 days and we don't know why. I eat gluten-free but I guess she is allergic to something else I am eating I just can't figure it out for the life of me. She is on Zantac right now but I don't see much of a change. She still wakes up choking and screaming. I hope she grows out of it all soon so far it hasn't affected her weight she is in the 75%. She is only 3 months old though.

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

KayJay,

Have you thought about doing a food journal? You might to try record everything you eat and you dd symptoms to see if you have a pattern. Our journal was very helpful in determining certain food symptoms. It was also helpful for her Dr. to see the severity of symptoms. In the journal you might included the foods you consumed, the time of day/what meal, the time of your dd symptoms, the severity of symptoms and your routine for the day. For example, was your dd's reflux less during the morning drive, when she was propped up.?

Hope this helps!!:)

Jnkmnky Collaborator

My son had severe reflux as well. Baby zantac didn't do much for him. I was eating gluten, so he had no hope! They say that gluten doesn't pass through to the breastmilk...but that's a load of crap. <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kimber Enthusiast

Hi

My 2yr old still battles reflux...has since he was 2 weeks old

I also have a 6mnth old with reflux as well

My 2yr old is on a gluten-free diet and doing better, but still needs meds...they are both on a PPI (prilosec) and pepcid/zantac did nothing!

Good Luck, Kim

kabowman Explorer

My oldest son had reflux until he was over a year old then it kind of stopped. He does not have a gluten problem but had severe D and cramping if I ate cnnamon or hot dogs (I can't believe I used to eat those nasty things but I did) so I gave those up while he was breast-feeding. He could eat them for a while but he is back to no processed meats and no cinnamon. He has problems with some other foods that we have not been able to fully identify yet but not bad enough to cause cramping. His blood test for celiac disease was negative.

Plain cheese pizza bothers him. However, he can eat tomatoes in other sauces, he can have all the cheese he wants and drinks milk by the gallon, and he eats bread products fine. Therefore, we can't figure out what it is with the pizza. Cherios are out too.

JoyfulDancer Newbie
My baby is just breastfeed right now but she has bad reflux.  I know she is not getting any gluten and I know that this is totally different from Celiac.  But...I am still worring about my baby.  :rolleyes:  I just don't want her to be celiac too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My son had reflux. It was miserable. Finally he was put on Prevacid, and that helped. He outgrew the reflux by 1yr. Also my dr. had me cut out dairy. It turns out he's dairy sensitive. In addition to the reflux he would get rashy, bumpy patches on his chest, legs, rear-end, face and arms (I guess that's the whole body!). When I stopped eating all dairy (casein and whey) the rash cleared up. I'm still not sure if the reflux was connected or a separate issue. He was supposed to grow out of it, but he's 3 now, and just had a severe rash reaction to what I suspect was cheese and yoghurt. Just this past summer we found out my dh and 5yodd have Celiac, and my ds is positive for IgG. He was only 2.5 when they tested him. He will be retested in Feb. I have a feeling he will be positive also.

Guest Lucy

my son never had any problems with reflux.

mamaathome Explorer

My 3 year old daughter had reflux as an infant and is still on Zantac for it. She was diagnosed with celiac disease last Dec. I also have a 10 month old who has acid reflux as well, Zantac has taken care of things for him. I asked dd's doctor at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics if there is a relationship between reflux and celiac disease and they said not that they knew of, but they really didn't know. So who knows. I think there is, especially after reading all the posts on here. Interesting.

mkmkz1 Newbie

I was just reading these messages and I thought I'd add a comment. My now 6 year old had what we thought was reflux starting at about 15 months (although as an infant she was a big spitter upper). She was put on reflux medicine (zantac, reglan) and it worked temporarily but every few months or so it would come back worse than before. After at least 3 years of on and off "reflux" (severe vomitting with all food being whole/undigested) we finally had her scoped and found out she had celiac disease. Anyway, all is well with her now - no signs of reflux, she's grown tremendously, etc. Doctors told us that reflux not related but if it had not been for the reflux her celiac disease would never have been diagnosed.

KayJay Enthusiast

Well that doesn't look promising. Lots of Babies had both. I have been keeping a food journal but so far nothing seems to be consistant. I thought it was soy milk for awhile but when I drank it again this week she did fine with it. I guess we will know more about it when she starts eating solids.

Anyone have celiac disease and then have a baby? Did you give your baby wheat at the beginning? Did you take your baby to a GI Ped. ?

Archived