Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sbojo32

Nutritionist And Insurance

My GI Doc recommended I meet with a nutritionist, which I thought sounded like a good idea, given that I received zero guidance from her. However, my insurance just called and said they won't cover a nutritionist visit because Celiac Disease is not something that is covered as needing a nutritionist.

???

She went through a list of over 100 codes that are covered, ranging from pregnancy to obesity to other diseases, but not Celiac - a disease where the treatment plan is a change in DIET.

Has anyone else had this issue? (I'm in the US).

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Some insurance, maybe many, won't pay for a " nutritionist". Usually, it needs to be an actual certified dietician. Might try that? You could appeal, but that could take months.

Join eNewsletter

I was referred to a nutritionist right after I was diagnosed four years ago.  She went through a half hour of "Nutrition 101", covering essentially the recommendations of the Standard American Diet.  We we got to "grains", she recommended that I eat whole wheat rather than white bread, and to make sure it was actually whole wheat rather than just caramel colored!  I reminded her that I was there for celiac disease, and she said, "Oh, right......"  So, well, let's just say I did not find it very useful.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter