Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whitefairy30

Grandmother And Celiacs Questions

Hi.

My grandmother have strange symptoms during her lifetime, but never tested for celiacs. 

I have the DQ2 so I think I inherited the gene from mother or father. My aunt tell me my grandmother have stomac and liver problems, anemia, weakness, was underweight all lifetime.

Is it possible she was maybe celiacs ? She never stopped eat gluten so.... if a celiacs don't stop eating gluten what's happen ?

Thanks.  

Whitefairy - diagnosed with Dq2 celiac gene (DBQ1*0201.), suffering with IBS and SIBO. 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It's possible that she had celiac disease or some other autoimmune disease.  Doctors miss many many people now a days never mind 60 years ago.

A celiac who continues to eat gluten will live with constant inflammation which will cause worsening symptoms and trigger other diseases (autoimmune, cancer or heart).  Some lucky ones do not get other problems but many do - I would guess most..

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Hi.

My grandmother have strange symptoms during her lifetime, but never tested for celiacs. 

I have the DQ2 so I think I inherited the gene from mother or father. My aunt tell me my grandmother have stomac and liver problems, anemia, weakness, was underweight all lifetime.

Is it possible she was maybe celiacs ? She never stopped eat gluten so.... if a celiacs don't stop eating gluten what's happen ?

Thanks.  

Hi Whitefairy.  You MAY have inherited a gene associated with Celiac from your family, but that does not mean that you will develop Celiac.  But you should be aware.  If you develop symptoms associated with Celiac, get some test done. If not, continue on.  :D

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter