Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have a question. I have Celiac Disease and am very sensitive to gluten. In fact, I only prepare my own food and never eat out. However, I do sometimes use other microwaves to heat up my food at work (and these microwaves have been used for gluten-containing foods). Am I in danger of having tiny bits of gluten fall into my food while I microwave it? (I do have my food on a plate or in a bowl, with no direct contact with the oven). Is it also possible that I could get gluten "fumes" that will get into my food and contaminate it?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If the oven is dirty, bits could fall in. Just always cover your dish with a paper towel or one of those plate covers that can be washed. If your office oven is really dirty, complain to the management. We have rules posted and people are generally good about cleaning spills. The janitor service cleans it and the frig throughly every Friday night. All food is tossed!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Unless it is exceptionally dirty with bits clinging to the top, you should be fine just using paper towels as a barrier.  Put one under the food and one over it.  Also, wash your hands after handling it out of the microwave, just before eating, to ensure any greasy buttons you pressed didn't get gluten nasties on to your hands.  It is just a good hygiene practice overall.  Gluten fumes are not a thing, so nothing to worry about there.  Unless someone is poofing flour around in the breakroom, it is not an airborne concern.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter