This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Curious... Long Eyelashes?

CeliacMommaX2

CeliacMommaX2 Enthusiast

I'm just curious... I've heard that long eyelashes are linked to celiac somehow... is this true?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I wish.....

mamaw Community Regular

I too have heard this in children.... from what I have read through the early years some doctors told people that...like twenty years ago. Have no idea if it was a thing all doctors looked out for but for sure some did. Remember twenty years ago was a lifetime ago when it comes to undiagnosed celiac so they truly knew little about celiac.. The researchers were working hard but the family doctor hadn't a clue....& sadly some still don't.....

Another thing they looked for was children with bluish color under their eyes....

I also will say as a child myself & my daughter both had LONG eyelashes that would be pushed in by glasses...people would comment about our beautiful eyes & lashes! we both are celiac.....

wise tale or true I don't have an answer.....

CeliacMommaX2 Enthusiast

My kids who have celiac both have long eyelashes and big eyes as well as my husband (who was negative for celiac but noticing a change in his IBS on a gluten free diet).  I just came across this and was curious if there was anything scientific behind it.

mamaw Community Regular

We too have large eyes.....I do know many who have long lashes & big eyes whom happen to be celiac !!! Another one is men who have flat butts ...... it is funny because when I see any of these things I think they should be tested .. My head starts spinning...If I have a chance or reason to have conversation & find they have other issues I do mention testing.....I don't know if there is any specific info on this...

mamaw Community Regular

oops I forgot  to mention  IBS  for  Hubs, could  it be  that  he  has  NCGS?  glad  the  gluten-free  diet  is also  helping  him....no testing  yet  for NCGS  just the elimination  diet....

nvsmom Community Regular

I wish.....

LOL  :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beadgirl Rookie

Strange idea. The longest eyelashes are generally seen in people of darker complexions in countries where celiac disease is less prevalent, while northern Europeans have a high prevalence of celiac and aren't so blessed in the eyelash/lush hair department... (I am of Finnish heritage, I wish I had eyelashes :( !)

mamaw Community Regular

I am not of a darker complexion ( I wish I had some color)I'm very pale, blue eyed , red head...at times ghostly white! german decent..but we still got very long lashes& big eyes....maybe a fluke!!!!

Gemini Experienced

Hey Mamaw.....I am also in the pale category, with green eyes and brown hair......well, my hair color that I use monthly is brown. What's underneath is scary.  ;)

But I have a lot of hair and really long lashes too.  However, I would trade the lash thing for less wrinkles, at this point!  :lol:   My heritage is English and Scottish, with a splash of Irish from my grandmother.  I will never be any darker than pale.......

mamaw Community Regular

Gemini..... I hear you my hair is not red anymore!!!! I & daughter also had a thick head of hair until the thyroid issues... Mine is totally gone since 07....one of the worse things I ever let a doctor talk me into!!! Wrinkles are a sign of wisdom so let them alone!!! You earned them!!!!If you buy into that I also have swamp property for sale....I too will always be WHITE.....when daughter married a half Italian we were thrilled to have grandkids with some color....they get a nice tan in summer .... I get RED , Burned, Peel & turn white ....

I wish I still had a full head of hair & kept the long lashes... thyroid killed of all for us!

nvsmom Community Regular

My lashes are completely average.  Fairly dark but not thick or long.

My hair used to be thick but I don't think that is ever coming back either.  Dang it...

I'm or German/Ukranian/Russian decent.  I'm white but have an olive complexion and brown hair.  Except for the red patches on my cheeks.  LOL

mamaw Community Regular

Nvsmom:::: I would love to have olive skin.....red cheeks do you have rosacea? I do....

nvsmom Community Regular

Yep.  Rosacea.  In my twenties it was charming to be slightly flushed, now if I am out in the cold, or heat for that matter, my cheeks get very red.  In my first year gluten-free, I was still having autoimmune arthritis flare-ups and I started wondering if the red was a lupus butterfly rash.  It gets pretty red.

The olive skin is handy.  I can hold a tan for months.  My husband comes from a pale British background, and our kids are either olive or pale, but they appear to have skipped his freckles and gone with my moles.

mamaw Community Regular

My rosacea  extends  to my neck area  now... Beet red  or  fire engine red  is  my  usual  look, no more  adult  acne ... I've  had  people  ask me  if  I'm  an  elke   or  having a stroke  cause  of the  redness....freckles  yep, had  those  too as a kid.... with olive  skin  your  redness  may slightly be  hidden... can't  miss  mine!!!!!! I  was  about  24  when it  showed it's  ugly head & progressed.. A lot of the meds for it  I  can't  take  because  of  my hyper  sensitivity...

janpell Apprentice

Even though I haven't been diagnosed with Celiac I gave up gluten (and many other foods) close to four years ago. I have very long eyelashes. I used to cut them shorter when I was younger because people kept commenting on them - almost obsessively so I felt like a freak. My two boys also have very long eyelashes and are also gluten free due to health issues which have since been resolved. We don't present classically so haven't been tested but we do have other autoimmune issues.

I used to have many symptoms of Lupus but have since resolved.  I am still getting the rosacea flareups when my diet gets off. I find Penatin (the diaper cream) helps calm the redness overnight. I also take zinc supplements during flareups. Dairy and the wrong wine can set my face on fire within minutes of consuming. I am fair skinned so it's very obvious on me.

nvsmom Community Regular

Even with my olive tinted skin, the red cheeks are noticeable too.  I will often get comments on my "sun burned" cheeks.   :rolleyes: They are red 24 hours a day, but get redder with weather, alcohol, and when I feel poorly.

Archived