Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cristiana

B12 Experts - Suspension Of Supplements Before A Test?

I'm looking on advice on whether taking a B12 supplement prior to a blood test will distort the true picture by 'artificially' raising the amount in the blood.

I have a few tingles and twitches which surface from time to time and am pretty sure that it is when my B12 is low.  I have started on methycobalimin 1000mcg sublingual supplements in the last two days, prior to that for a couple of weeks I was taking cobalamin supplements and a general B complex, and I feel they are making a difference but my lovely GP, quite rightly, wants to check where my levels are at the moment.  

When I was diagnosed my levels were pretty borderline BUT I was taking Berocca so I am never really sure how accurate those were.  My feeling is I might have been offered some shots had Berocca not been helping.  

My question is, do any of you know is it necessary to do a supplement fast before a blood test for a truer picture and if so, how long would you give it?  At the moment my test is booked for end of next week.

Many thanks!

Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

BRITISH

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

For me, I continue to take my vitamins and see what my levels are. If they are at the high end, I know I can take less. If they are at the lower end or in the middle, I figure I am doing the right thing by taking them. If I am still low, I know I need to take more or heal more. For some vitamins, not taking them for a week wouldn't really effect the levels.... So it might give you a false sense that you don't need them?

Join eNewsletter

Ask your doctor to be on the safe side. Mine didn't want me supplementing for a week or two before the levels were tested. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Thanks so much friends.  My GP did tell me that I could keep taking them but I wanted to check with the experts on this board too. The buzzing in my cheek is really playing up now having almost fizzled out (literally!) UNTIL I saw my doctor and she told me she was going to give me a barrage of blood test - B12 is just one of them...  She has ordered so many tests  :(

My Gastroenterologist says that I have 'white coat tachycardia' - i.e. my BP soars in a medical setting, seems I have white coat neuropathy too...  

Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

BRITISH

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter