AmandaD

Blurg - Synthroid - Need Advice.

Rate this topic

So my doc called - I have "subclinical hypothyroidism" - TSH is 4.4 and Free T4 is 0.9.

She said we could treat it or wait a while. I said it's fine to treat. They are putting me on Synthroid - the brand name. Are any of you on this drug? Is it actually safe for a celiac?

Also...how big a deal is subclinical hypothyroidism....ugh...I detest having another thing!

Thanks!

I take synthroid (50 mcg) and have never had a problem with it. I think there's a high prevalence of hypothyroid and celiac (but I could be wrong). I know some people with Hashimotos that do better on a gluten free diet. Good luck to you!

Levothyroxine is a "brand name generic" and gluten-free per our Endo.  DS can't take it because they don't make it in the dosage he needs but it is what his Dr. would have liked him on and will change him to once he's bigger and we need to up his dosage.

levothyroxine  is gluten-free.... I  had a very severe  reaction   to it..... anaphylaxis

That can happen with any medication but has nothing to do with it's gluten/gluten free status.  Two different issues though I understand your dislike of it with the result you had!

I'm on Levothyroxine and didn't realize it was gluten free. Good to know! Have your doc test your TPO antibodies.. It's likely that you have Hashimoto's. My TSH was around 4-5 and nobody would treat me until I finally found a doctor who recognized Hashi's, and my antibodies were 3500! Under 80 is normal. Don't be scared of Levo, though, reactions are extremely rare since it's just a hormone. I take it right when I wake up and the only annoying thing is occasionally having to have my dose adjusted.

Yeah... hypothyroidism is a common one around here.  It's not a horrible thing, but it can be fiddly to get the dosage of hormones right.  It can take a lot of patience since doses can only be adjusted every 6 weeks or so.

I was on it for 9 months. It's gluten-free.  I had a mild allergic reaction to one dosage amount, and I was never really satisfied with how I felt on it, so I switched to a different medication after 9 months.

Good luck with it!  I hope you feel better soon.  If you have more questions, try looking in the related disorders forum.  There's a fair bit of info in there.