This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Labs After 3 Years gluten-free

nvsmom

nvsmom Community Regular

I had some labs done, and after being gluten-free for 3 years, some things are changing.

My tTG IgA is very normal!  Yeah!  It was still abnormal at about a year gluten-free, so I was wondering it it was down yet.  It was a 4 with a normal range of 0-14.9 (used to be 0-20).  I have this disease firmly under control!  Woohoo!   :D

Vitamin A, which was always borderline low to low with vitamins and injections is.... stlll borderline low at 1.5 (1.5-3.5).  Absolutely no change and I have stopped worrying about it.  Nothing changes that one.

My cholesterol went up! It used to be borderline low and my triglycerides were below normal.  Now, my triglycerides are a low normal and the cholesterol is more average.  I figured that one would go up.  Now I KNOW it had nothing to do with how well l  ate.  LOL

My blood glucose is normal, though still higher than I would have liked it.  Darn sugar...

All my hormones are normal, CBC stuff is all normal.  All good.

The only abnormal is my TSH which is at 0.01 with a range of 0.20-4.00.  I take natural desiccated thyroid so my thyroid is suppressed.  Free T3 was 4.8 (3.5-6.5) and Free T4 was 12.8 (10.0-25.00).  Those two aren't as great for me.  I was feeling a tad bit off towards the hypo end of things lately, but I don't feel it is enough to increase my meds. If I lose a few, my meds will probably be better matched up to me again.  LOL Good enough for now.

So, three years in and looking good.  :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MycasMommy Enthusiast

YAY!!!  That is pretty great news!  Its really quite a task to get all the various blood levels to a proper type of place. YOU DID IT!  :D :D :D It is spring..if you want to lose a few, just promise yourself a nice after dinner walk with the SO ???  Nothing strenuous... but it will do wonders!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

That is great news. While I know that feeing better is the real reward for all your hard work getting to see how much you recovered in labs very satisfying. Thanks for posting. 

icelandgirl Proficient

Good work Nicole! I hope the thyroid #'s improve for you...The hypo feeling is not great. I'm so glad you've shared your success!

nvsmom Community Regular

Thank you.  :)

cyclinglady Grand Master

Congratulations!

Gemini Experienced

You know you are healed when your cholesterol goes up.  ^_^

It took 10 years for me but finally, this year was the year that my cholesterol looks more like the rest of the population.  It was 166, non-fasting in 2013 and now?

201, fasting!!!!!!!!!  However, I was over the top pleased that the increase was mostly in my HDL.  That went from 59 to 82 so I don't even worry a bit about the 201 number. As I do not do endoscopies, seeing this increase must mean I am finally absorbing fats well.  So, for all those who think they will never heal......sometimes it takes a very long time but it does happen.  It just took a long time for me to ramp up that fat absorption!  ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

LOL  Seems like a funny reward to healing, doesn't it.  Stay strictly gluten-free for years and be rewarded with higher cholesterol... LOL

The weight gain is REALLY getting annoying though... could have done without that reward.  ;)

Gemini Experienced

I'll say!  You would think something nice would happen, like my hair changing back from grey to brunette but nooooooooooo........rewards came as higher cholesterol.

As long as the gain reflects increases in my good cholesterol, and my triglycerides stay low, I am ok with those 200 numbers.  It'll have to be because I won't take meds for it!  <_<

Have you tried weight training, Nicole?  It burns lots of calories.....so you can eat more and not gain weight.  That is the perfect combination!  :lol:

nvsmom Community Regular

Have you tried weight training, Nicole?  It burns lots of calories.....so you can eat more and not gain weight.  That is the perfect combination!  :lol:

I have in the past but not consistently - I've had back injury and arthritis get in my way.  I wouldn't mind doing some but I've developed dome hip arthritis in the past couple of years that would make it difficult... doesn't excuse using my arms though does it?  ;)

I do need to build me some muscle soon - my youth is never coming back so I actually have to work at it now, darn it!

Celiacandme Apprentice

Good news, Nicole! :)

Archived