This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New To This! Any Celiacs/gluten Free In Uk?

Emma-jane88

Jmg Mentor
45 minutes ago, Victoria1234 said:

You guys seriously have something called curly wurlys? If so, I want to live in the U.K.....

41oNzaSHDML._AC_UL320_SR318,320_.webp

:P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jmg

• cristiana

• Gemini

• Victoria1234

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jmg

Jmg 45 posts

• cristiana

cristiana 43 posts

• Gemini

Gemini 5 posts

• Victoria1234

Victoria1234 5 posts

Posted Images

Victoria1234 Experienced
12 minutes ago, Jmg said:

41oNzaSHDML._AC_UL320_SR318,320_.webp

:P

No fair :( 

Victoria1234 Experienced

No fair:wub:

Jmg Mentor
Just now, Victoria1234 said:

No fair :( 

I'm trying to think of a chocolate treat you have over there that I miss.

Nope...

If one comes to mind I'll get back to you :P

Victoria1234 Experienced
3 minutes ago, Jmg said:

I'm trying to think of a chocolate treat you have over there that I miss.

Nope...

If one comes to mind I'll get back to you :P

Argh! (Shaking my fist!)

• 4 weeks later...
Jmg Mentor

Aldi have their Christmas stuff out. They've got gluten free mince pies, I cheated and had one already, very nice... There's also gluten-free xmas puddings! Didn't cheat on that though. I have standards... Didn't see any gluten-free xmas cake though it shows one on their site.

Victoria1234 Experienced
47 minutes ago, Jmg said:

Aldi have their Christmas stuff out. They've got gluten free mince pies, I cheated and had one already, very nice... There's also gluten-free xmas puddings! Didn't cheat on that though. I have standards... Didn't see any gluten-free xmas cake though it shows one on their site.

I saw their non gluten-free xmas foods out, like stollen. Looked so good, made me sad.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jmg Mentor
15 hours ago, Victoria1234 said:

I saw their non gluten-free xmas foods out, like stollen. Looked so good, made me sad.

Yeah they looked fantastic didn't they? They had little mini stollen 'bites' some covered in chocolate :(

Then there was the big stollen, which my family will be tucking into this xmas, maybe before the panetone.

There were lots of other yummy looking things. 

BUT WE HAVE PUDDING

So not all is lost!

cristiana Veteran

Ahh... mince pie season again.  I had a very pleasant experience at our local hospital the other day.  I was waiting to see the gastroenterologist and decided to call in at the hospital Costa for a mint tea (still being careful having had gastritis all summer) and  couldn't resist something to eat.  When one recovers from gastritis, one shouldn't have an empty stomach for too long, you know...

Costa didn't have any gluten-free Mini Bakewells in but they did have a newly delivered batch of gluten-free individually wrapped mince pies. 

The Costa mince pie is a triumph!  

(As are the iced mince pies at Sainsbury's, by the way).

JMG - update about the Cadbury's Individual Chocolate Chunks that you will recall were in Tescos last Christmas.  I have a horrible feeling that this year they have joined the ranks of 'May also contain wheat' - I read something worrying to that effect on line.  Let's hope I'm wrong!

Jmg Mentor

12 hours ago, cristiana said:

(As are the iced mince pies at Sainsbury's, by the way).

YES!

I'd forgotten about those, they are delicious :)

I will keep eye out for the Costa mince pie, I was in there last week and it was packed because the Xmas drinks were out. Amazing to see how coffee culture has caught on over here.

Hope you are soon feeling better Christiana :)

cristiana Veteran
9 hours ago, Jmg said:

YES!

I'd forgotten about those, they are delicious :)

I will keep eye out for the Costa mince pie, I was in there last week and it was packed because the Xmas drinks were out. Amazing to see how coffee culture has caught on over here.

Hope you are soon feeling better Christiana :)

Thank you.  I think I am now on the road to recovery but it is strange, my system still feels not quite right when I'm hungry.  It is a different version of 'feeling sick because I am hungry' than I had before.  I don't know, perhaps it's nothing to do with the gastritis, probably old age. Nowt a mince pie and some Hendersons Relish won't fix!! 

As regards Costa Coffee, is it safe?  A while back their allergy listing indicated there might be some CC but thinking about it that was the hot chocolate I wanted to order.  I don't know about the coffee.

Jmg Mentor
On 11/13/2017 at 8:36 PM, cristiana said:

As regards Costa Coffee, is it safe?  A while back their allergy listing indicated there might be some CC but thinking about it that was the hot chocolate I wanted to order.  I don't know about the coffee.

I only ever have black coffee, either espresso or americano (pretentious name annoys me but what can you do). It's listed as ok here: https://www.costa.co.uk/nutrition/Costa-ANI-data-November-2017.pdf so its only if there's cc that there would be a problem. I've been ok so far :)

Gemini Experienced

http://www.quattrobimbi.com/Panettone-large.aspx

http://www.quattrobimbi.com/panettone-small.aspx

Stollen, smollen!   :P  I have had these 2 Panettone's from Italy and they are delicious.  They will make you forget you have to be gluten free.  The large ones can also be had at Whole Foods.  Not sure if they have them everywhere but they do at the ones near me and I have the large one sitting on my counter at home right now.  My other wish would be to find some gluten-free Bakewell Tart in the US......^_^

cyclinglady Grand Master

I have had Costa Coffee, but just plain.  What we miss are their gluten free chicken wraps and brownies!  We lived on those for breakfast before touring around.  Starbucks, bring those to the U.S.!  

cristiana Veteran
5 hours ago, Jmg said:

I only ever have black coffee, either espresso or americano (pretentious name annoys me but what can you do). It's listed as ok here: https://www.costa.co.uk/nutrition/Costa-ANI-data-November-2017.pdf so its only if there's cc that there would be a problem. I've been ok so far :)

latte-coaster.webp

Gemini Experienced
4 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

I have had Costa Coffee, but just plain.  What we miss are their gluten free chicken wraps and brownies!  We lived on those for breakfast before touring around.  Starbucks, bring those to the U.S.!  

http://www.newburnbakehouse.com/supermarket-products#wraps

Starbuck's also had wrap sandwiches in London and this was the company they used.  Warburton's bread and wraps put everything in the US to shame.  The wraps are moist, delicious and do not SPLIT!  I could actually consider a move to the the UK just to have access to this bread.  I will say it again.....the UK has the BEST gluten-free bread I have ever had.  If I could afford shipping a cooler of the stuff to the US, I would.  Really miss my good bread.  And now I see they have crumpets........:(

Costa coffee is great...never had a problem with it.

Jmg Mentor
14 hours ago, Gemini said:

http://www.quattrobimbi.com/Panettone-large.aspx

http://www.quattrobimbi.com/panettone-small.aspx

Stollen, smollen!   :P  I have had these 2 Panettone's from Italy and they are delicious.  They will make you forget you have to be gluten free.  The large ones can also be had at Whole Foods.  Not sure if they have them everywhere but they do at the ones near me and I have the large one sitting on my counter at home right now.  My other wish would be to find some gluten-free Bakewell Tart in the US......^_^

Wow! Didn't realise that was a possibilty! I've had the little biscuits they make, they're really nice and the only danger is finishing the entire bag at a sitting! The weird thing is that I wasn't that fussed about panettones until I couldn't have them any more, now I really want one :D

The BeFree wraps are the best for burritos and the Newburn ones are good for sandwiches and even mini pizzas. They're each expensive but very good as a treat or if travelling. 

Jmg Mentor
8 hours ago, Gemini said:

And now I see they have crumpets

Yes the crumpets are excellent. I have them quite often in the winter. Look and taste is excellent. They're probably not as chewy as the gluten ones but that's not really an issue as they are chewy in comparison to what I eat now. 

Gemini Experienced
9 hours ago, Jmg said:

Wow! Didn't realise that was a possibilty! I've had the little biscuits they make, they're really nice and the only danger is finishing the entire bag at a sitting! The weird thing is that I wasn't that fussed about panettones until I couldn't have them any more, now I really want one :D

The BeFree wraps are the best for burritos and the Newburn ones are good for sandwiches and even mini pizzas. They're each expensive but very good as a treat or if travelling. 

Bfree brand is in the US now and they are stocked at my local grocery store.  I have not seen the wraps yet but I am going to request that they stock them.  They have these dinner rolls that are actually a gluten-free sourdough roll and they are delicious!  Read the link and see what they use for sourdough starter......excellent! The rolls have chew to the crust and are soft and fluffy on the inside. I see they now make the brown, seeded rolls, which I like better than the white so the hunt is on!  :ph34r: 

Thanks for the advice.....I really miss burritos. One of the few times I have trouble with the Celiac thing is when I am in London and I can smell all that delicious street food being prepared.  It's downright torture.  As for the panettone.........they are really good.  I have never become ill from anything I have bought from Italy....they really know their gluten free stuff!

https://us.bfreefoods.com/product/soft-white-rolls/

Gemini Experienced
9 hours ago, Jmg said:

Yes the crumpets are excellent. I have them quite often in the winter. Look and taste is excellent. They're probably not as chewy as the gluten ones but that's not really an issue as they are chewy in comparison to what I eat now. 

You do realize I am starting to drool all over my keyboard?  :lol:  Your second sentence said it all.  It's been 12 years for me gluten-free so gluten free chewy is fine by me!

Gemini Experienced

latte-coaster.webp

Had to mention........this made me laugh out loud and how true it is!  :lol:
cristiana Veteran

Num num num.

I'm losing count of what products we have posted on this long thread, but just in case these haven't been I'd say they are worth a try for those who miss cheescake and can't be bothered to make one.  Well done Tescos.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/295348454?sc_cmp=ppc*GHS+-+Grocery+-+New*PX+|+Shopping+GSC+|+All+Products+%2B+Tesco+Brand*PRODUCT+GROUP295348454*&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrpCxi8Th1wIVzrztCh0dcw-CEAQYASABEgLmxPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

cristiana Veteran

And well done, Morrisons.

Jmg Mentor
19 hours ago, cristiana said:

Num num num.

I'm losing count of what products we have posted on this long thread, but just in case these haven't been I'd say they are worth a try for those who miss cheescake and can't be bothered to make one.  Well done Tescos.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/295348454?sc_cmp=ppc*GHS+-+Grocery+-+New*PX+|+Shopping+GSC+|+All+Products+%2B+Tesco+Brand*PRODUCT+GROUP295348454*&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrpCxi8Th1wIVzrztCh0dcw-CEAQYASABEgLmxPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yes they are nice. Don't forget to check out the frozen berry cheesecake in tesco, it's fantastic. :) 

I found a new treat at one of the biggest stores last week, a fresh lemon meringue pie! Serves six, last night I ate half of it...

19 hours ago, cristiana said:

And well done, Morrisons.

And now for some reason I have something in my eye... 

cristiana Veteran

I say, JMG - half a lemon meringue pie in one sitting? Steady on, old chap...

(Actually, I think that shows great restraint!)

:D