Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badcasper

Gluten-Zyme For Accidental Glutening

I was accidentally glutening  and I read on here to try sublingual b-12. I went to the health food store to get some and the lady told me they also make enzymes to break down the gluten .I tried the gluten zyme with food and I felt better within 30 minutes. first I tried the b-12 and it helped with the brain fog.  If you ever tried lactose pills for lactose intolerance, they kind of  work like that

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

While I am glad you feel better, do know that there is no existing product on the market that has enzymes that actually break down gluten.  Most of them are just a mix of digestive enzymes that can aid in general tummy troubles.  Some of the products make claims that you can safely consume gluten with their pill and that is not correct.   You are better off just buying a digestive enzyme supplement (I get the CVS brand one) and not giving your money to companies who sell false claims.  Those pills do not work for gluten like lactase works for lactose intolerance- the gluten is still there and intact, damaging your body.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/do-supplements-like-glutenease-offer-protection-against-accidentally-eating-gluten

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

The way the Celiac researchers explained it to us at the Celiac Symposium was - the drug they are developing ( not a currently available one) will help break down a very small amount of gluten in the stomach, before it reaches the small intestine. Food is in the stomach for a very very short amount of tim, so you would need to take the study/ in development drug with or the bite before the food.

So.....there is currently no over the counter or prescription drug that digests or breaks down gluten proteins. But if you think they work and they make you feel better..... OK.

Join eNewsletter

And.... Food doesn't sit in the stomach or small intestine for days.... So something taken the next day or even a few hours later, even if it could break down gluten or lactose or whatever, would have nothing to work on.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter