• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Jnkmnky

Green Bean Casserole... How Do You Make It gluten-free?

Rate this topic

I've read of other people using Funyans. I don't eat them so I haven't tried that. I miss those fried onions a lot - I used to sneak my mom's can out of the cupboard and eat the whole thing while reading a book in my bedroom. So as a result, the rare bean casserole we actually had was also delicious.

I would love to figure out how to fry up onions like that myself.

Stephanie

Which brand of Cream of mushroom is gluten-free?  Is Cream of mushroom easy to make homemade with, I guess, corn starch?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've made cream soup with cornstarch - couldn't tell the difference since it was used with tomato sauce for smothered swiss steak.

I made them this weekend so I could try it out!

I sliced onions thinly (I'll do a tad thicker next time) and soaked them in milk (I might try buttermilk next time). Then I dredged them in cornstarch and fried 'em till they were crispy. I drained them on papertowels and hit 'em with salt and pepper while hot.

The reason I'd go a tad thicker on the onion is that the thin slices burned very quickly.

I used Progresso Cream of Mushroom soup... and the whole casserole was DELICIOUS!!

I was so excited! I'm also thinking that I could even do the onions the night before and crisp 'em up in the oven before putting them in the casserole on Thursday. Whattya think??

That sounds great! I'm going to try your recipe for Thanksgiving as we always have green bean casserole and this will be my first gluten-free year. I think doing the onions the night before would work out fine. Thanks!

my support group leader actually talked about this last night! she said progresso cream of mushroom and then she uses potato sticks on top. she didn't mention a brand, though.

I know a lot of grocery stores will order a specific product for you if they don't have it. I have searched high and low for a gluten-free cream of mushroom, but no one around here has one. I have a list of gluten-free mainstream products, and it listed Lipton's (as long as it says "New Recipe" or "More Cheese") They also have a cream of chicken that is gluten-free. I've asked Safeway if they can get it for me, but haven't heard back yet.

Does anyone know of a condensed tomato soup that is gluten free? I have found soup, but not the condensed kind. I have a recipe that uses condensed tomato soup.

Lisa

Here's Emeril's recipe -- I am just substituting mixed gluten-free flour for regular flour where applicable...

2 teaspoons unsalted butter

1 1/2 pounds green beans, ends trimmed and cut lengthwise into thin strips and blanched

2 1/4 cups Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup, recipe follows

2 tablespoons Essence, plus 2 teaspoons, recipe follows

2 cups grated Fontina

4 to 5 cups vegetable oil

2 large yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced (about 1/16- inch thick)

gluten-free Hot pepper sauce

2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart baking dish with the butter and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the green beans, Wild Mushroom Soup, 2 teaspoons of Essence, and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, and stir well. Pour into the prepared dish, sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top, and bake until bubbly, 35 to 30 minutes.

In a large saucepan, add enough oil to come about 3 inches up the sides, and heat to 360 degrees F.

Pat the onions dry. Drizzle hot sauce on the onions and toss. In a bowl, combine the gluten-free flour and 2 tablespoons of the Essence. Add the onions and toss to coat evenly. Shake the onions to remove any excess flour and add in batches to the hot oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp and golden brown, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.

Top casserole with fried onions and serve.

Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup:

6 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 cup chopped yellow onions

1/2 cup chopped celery

1/4 teaspoon cayenne

11/2 teaspoons minced garlic

6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced

6 ounces oyster mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced

8 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced

2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/3 cup brandy

6 cups gluten-free chicken stock

1 1/2 cups heavy cream

In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, and cayenne and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms, thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, the mushrooms give off their liquid and start to brown, about 7 minutes. Add the brandy, bring to a boil and cook until glazed, about 2 minutes. Add the stock and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.

Remove from the heat and puree with a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor. Add the cream, return to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and adjust seasoning, to taste.

Which brand of Cream of mushroom is gluten-free?  Is Cream of mushroom easy to make homemade with, I guess, corn starch?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think funions are gluten free. I called the company three months ago and was told they were NOT. I could have gotten misinformation? Anyone else?

Hope you all have a safe gluten-free Thanksgiving.

Here's my 2 cents on the Green bean cassarole. ;)

I will be going to DD's house and will be taking the green bean cassarole. I will use the traditional recipe with a 2 substitutions:

the mushroom soup

and the onion rings.

For the mushroom soup, I can use Progresso or I can make my own:

To make my own, I use a can of mushrooms and make a white sauce with

cornstarch to thicken it. I bring a cup of chicken broth to a boil and add in the

liquid from the can of mushrooms. Then I make the cornstarch paste using 4 oz of

chicken broth (or cold water) and 2 TBS cornstarch. I add the paste to the hot

mixture and heat and stir until thickened. It's much more economical than the

Progresso mushroom soup.

To replace the onion rings, I'll crush corn tortilla chips for the crunchy top.

If I was more ambitious I could fry my own onion rings using this batter:

1 cup all purpose gluten-free flour

3/4 c. miilk

1 egg

1 tsp. salt

2 TBS oil

1/2 tsp. baking powder

Happpy Turkey Day

Guest nini

Funyons ARE gluten free. They do however contain Milk and Soy ingredients so anyone who is sensitive to those shouldn't eat them.

Personally I can't stand Funyons but my daughter loves them. I contacted Frito Lay's recently and they mailed me a list of all of their gluten free products and Funyons were definitely on that list.

I used Progresso Cream of Mushroom soup... and the whole casserole was DELICIOUS!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't find Progresso Cream of Mushroom Soup, but I did find on the Progresso website, progressosoups.com , that there is a "creamy mushroom", but that one is not in my store either!! Any idea if it was "creamy mushroom" that you used?

Question...

for Green Bean Casserole,

Which type of Green Beans should I use?

I have recently been told that "canned green beans" make for the best consistency and texture...

Needless to say, I was aghast.....I have not eaten "canned" veggies in a very long time...

any input here would be appreciated....if canned is the way to go, I will do for the best results!!!