Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lc1333

Orida Hash Browns

Orida Hash Browns ----So the bag says they're gluten-free, but every time I eat them I get sick, kinda like a mild gluten reaction, but sick enough to persuade me to not eat them.  I've tried cooking them using a variety of oils, but no matter what I do, I get sick about 3 hours later - stomach cramps, bathroom visits, that sort of thing...nothing like an all out gluten reaction, but annoying...

Anybody else experience that?  Any ideas?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

That is puzzling.  I know a lot of us Celiacs eat ore idea, in fact I had some of their cube shaped hash browns last night.  Could it be how you are preparing it, like with a high fat meal, with undercooking of potatoes or eggs, something like that?  They do add an ingredient to their frozen potatoes to keep them from going brown which is called "DISODIUM DIHYDROGEN PYROPHOSPHATE", so perhaps it could be that individual preservative.  I know any potato product that is shelf stable is going to have something added or they will turn a hideous brown color.

Either way if you want to steer clear, if you ever want to make your own hash browns from scratch, the flavor beats out anything you can get from the frozen section.  Just takes a lot of work to grate the potatoes and squeeze the water out.  (Or pre-cook the potatoes in the microwave and cut into cubes before frying for the home style cube kind).

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Thanks for the response.  I'm wondering if it is some random ingredient in there, not related to gluten.  I mean, if they say they are gluten free then I do trust them, and other products that are labelled gluten free have never bothered me.  It's just this one thing.  I made the mistake of buying the great big bag of hashbrowns when I saw they are gluten free - I got all excited.  Then I felt like it would be wasteful to not eat them, so I tried using different kids of oils to see if maybe the oil was making be sick, but no matter what I tried I kept getting sick.  

I'll look into that preservative.  My daughter does make home style potatoes that are really good, maybe I'll try to make the actual shredded style just to see how it works.

Thanks again!

Join eNewsletter

We eat those harsh browns and fries without a problem. I would suspect the added preservatives and would avoid them for a while.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter

• Popular Now