This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Joint Pain

em.watson

em.watson Newbie

I have a question about post-diagnosis. I gave up gluten 6 weeks ago, and since giving it up my joint pain has intensified and I have begun experiencing it in my hands, wrists, knees and ankles (which I never had before). Other symptoms have improved immensely (Dizziness gone, bloating gone, stomach pain gone, eczema gone, skin clearer).

Did anyone experiencing worsening joint or muscle pain in the period after giving up gluten?

I am not being cross-contaminated (as my household is gluten free and I am not eating out) and I am eating only whole natural foods (meat, veggies, fruit).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

Yes! Yes! YES! (For joint pain - not muscle pain)

My joint pain flared up very badly after I had been gluten-free for 2 months.  My joint pain was definitely autoimmune related because I would get flu-ish, fatigued, headaches, and then the symmetrical pain would hit my upper body (fingers, wrists, elbows, shoulders).  I still remember that the "2 month gluten-free" flare-up was a bad one.  I was convinced that I must have lupus... I was gluten-free, right?

I was referred to a rheumy, and when I finally saw her (6 months later) she said it must be celiac disease related, which was what some of the veterans around here had told me.  That last bad flare-up lasted over 2 months, but it was the last really bad one.  I did have a few more flare-ups but they were minor in comparison, lasting only days to a couple of weeks, with less severity, and longer time periods in between attacks.  After 3 years gluten-free, I honestly don't remember the last time I had a one of the weaker flare-ups... Maybe a year ago?

Arthralgias are one of the slower symptoms to improve.  Nutritional deficiencies, anemia, ataxia, and cognitive issues also tend to take longer (over a year) to get better.  It makes sense to me.  At 9-10 months gluten-free, my blood tests were still not completely normal, so it makes sense that my symptoms were not gone either.

If it is celiac disease related, it will get better, probably by Christmas.  :) ... I know, I know... it seems like a long time doesn't it.  ;) Hang in there.  It's great when it's gone.

em.watson Newbie

Yes! Yes! YES! (For joint pain - not muscle pain)

My joint pain flared up very badly after I had been gluten-free for 2 months.  My joint pain was definitely autoimmune related because I would get flu-ish, fatigued, headaches, and then the symmetrical pain would hit my upper body (fingers, wrists, elbows, shoulders).  I still remember that the "2 month gluten-free" flare-up was a bad one.  I was convinced that I must have lupus... I was gluten-free, right?

I was referred to a rheumy, and when I finally saw her (6 months later) she said it must be celiac disease related, which was what some of the veterans around here had told me.  That last bad flare-up lasted over 2 months, but it was the last really bad one.  I did have a few more flare-ups but they were minor in comparison, lasting only days to a couple of weeks, with less severity, and longer time periods in between attacks.  After 3 years gluten-free, I honestly don't remember the last time I had a one of the weaker flare-ups... Maybe a year ago?

Arthralgias are one of the slower symptoms to improve.  Nutritional deficiencies, anemia, ataxia, and cognitive issues also tend to take longer (over a year) to get better.  It makes sense to me.  At 9-10 months gluten-free, my blood tests were still not completely normal, so it makes sense that my symptoms were not gone either.

If it is celiac disease related, it will get better, probably by Christmas.   :) ... I know, I know... it seems like a long time doesn't it.   ;) Hang in there.  It's great when it's gone.

Thank you nvsmom! I know celiac can coexist with arthritis but since i'm so early in recovery i'm trying not to panic and jump to worrying about that, so your post was helpful! :) Thanks again for taking the time to write it!

nvsmom Community Regular

Thank you nvsmom! I know celiac can coexist with arthritis but since i'm so early in recovery i'm trying not to panic and jump to worrying about that, so your post was helpful! :) Thanks again for taking the time to write it!

My pleasure.  :)  It really is hard to stay patient - I didn't do well with it.  ;)

Keep in mind that if it is osteoarthritis, the gluten-free diet may not help as much, although it still may as inflammation levels in your body drop.  My arms and shoulders are much better but my knees continue to grind away and my hips aren't happy either. OA often isn't as affected by the gluten-free diet as autoimmune arthritis is.

Hang in there.  :)

• 1 month later...
JennyD Rookie

So not to throw a curve ball in there for you but Ive been gluten free about 1.5 years now, Diagnosed Celiac in December of 2013. I started feeling better everywhere else minus my muscles and joints and was diagnosed with Celiac Arthritis and Fibro... Apparently Celiac Arthritis is a thing, this is a new diagnosis for me so I am still learning about it but you may want to check that out with a Rhumy. Hope you feel better soon :D

GFinDC Veteran

Hi,

You could try giving up nightshades for a while and see if that helps your joint pain.  A few months ought to be enough of a test to tell.

Archived