• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

jcgirl

Thanksgiving ?

Rate this topic

This is my first gluten-free Thanksgiving and we are traveling to my sister-in-laws. My question is: If the turkey is stuffed with traditional family recipe (loaded with gluten) will the bird cause cross contamination? My husband thinks that if I eat a piece of breast meat that I should be fine. He thinks that the breast won't touch the stuffing or something. I am considering taking my own turkey breast, better safe than sorry.

Expert opinions needed asap. :rolleyes:

The turkey would be contaminated if it is cooked with regular dressing. There is a similar topic in the Food and Recipies section you might want to read it is all about Thanksgiving Turkey's and prep. It is on the 2nd page at the bottom titled Thanksgiving Turkey.

Jennifer

Do not eat a stuffed turkey. Even if the stuffing itself never touches the breast (there's no way for you to know this for sure), gluten will get into the juices. Do they baste with the juices? Take your own or see if they'll cook the stuffing separately.

richard

Def not. If you want to be bold with your family you could recommend a gluten-free stuffing instead of regular! There are quite a few stuffing recipes under the Thanksgiving recipes post. Also...if the turkey has not stuffing and seems okay, make sure you are able to verify the brand, additives etc. before partaking. I actually bring my own little miny ham to the family dinners now to be safe :)

I am so glad I asked and got confirmation to what I already knew. And, No the inlaws will not stuff the bird with my stuffing. Heck, my husband won't even go along with that one. As a matter of fact, two years ago it was my turn to cook and sister-in-law insisted on putting the family recipe inside my bird. I had to put my stuffing in a casserole dish in the oven, this was before gluten-free of course.

I will make it a point to bring my very own turkey breast along with my gluten-free stuffing that I already planned to make.

Thank you all for saving my holiday.

As for the hubby and in-laws, Love ya all to death, hope you all get a big fat Gluten Bloat and fight over the potty all night on the 24th. :P:lol:

I posted elsewhere about this but I think it bears repeating. Butterball explicitly told me that only their FRESH turkey and FRESH turkey breast was gluten-free. They said due to secret recipe for their frozen turkeys, they can't deny the pressence of gluten in it. I realize that not everyone eats Butterball turkeys but my guess is that fresh (not frozen) turkeys will be the safer choice, no mattter the manufacturer.

Yeah, you can't eat the turkey or you will get sick. Maybe ask them to make the stuffing separate so you can have some? If not, then maybe take your own food and eat it with them. That is what I usually do at big events.

I fully advocate making your own personal gluten free thanksgiving the day before (or the day of) and bring over a big old plate of gluten-free goodies.

Family members can be "less than supportive" at times and I like this day too much to allow their lack of consideration to affect it!!!

Stuffing, turkey and taters taste great as leftovers -- don't let the Gluten-Friendly folks get you down!!!!

Bronco

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• April 17, 2019 Until April 27, 2019
      April 17-27, 2020   For the past few years many of you have asked us to arrange a River Boat Cruise that will allow us to visit Amsterdam's famous Keukenhof Gardens at its prime time of the blossoming of the millions of Tulips and Hyacinths - alongside the windmills of the Netherlands.  With the participation of a minimum of 20 persons we have arranged an All-Inclusive Cruise from Antwerp to Amsterdam.  This cruise will not be offered to the public until January, 2019 and always sells out quickly.   THERE WILL BE NO MONEY REQUIRED NOR COMMITMENT FROM YOU until we have all the final costs and details.  If you are at all interested check out our website for as many of the details that we have as of this time.   We need your request to be placed on a list of interested participants so we can present that number to Uniworld to show we have the sincere interest in this All-Inclusive Bob & Ruth's Gluten-free Cruise.   PLEASE CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE FOR THE DETAILED INFORMATION THAT WE HAVE AS OF THIS TIME.   http://bobandruths.com
    • April 24, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • May 04, 2019 Until May 05, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com