abenedum

Should I Get A New Rolling Pin?

Rate this topic

After only a month being gluten free, I still keep finding things in the pantry that I ether have to get rid of or wash thoroughly before using again. 

I came across my rolling pin and it hit me that I used it for pie dough.  I haven't made an pie for a couple of years now but still, it was used with wheat flour. 

The rolling pin is of hard maple and is sanded/polished to a VERY smooth surface which makes it very easy to wash.  It was an expensive pin, so I am hoping it can be salvaged with a good washing in very hot water and white vinegar.

Any thoughts about it and cross contamination possibilities?  I guess I could give it away to a friend but I searched for a long time for a rolling pin like this one and believe it or not I am rather fond of it.  I will bequeath it to someone if I must but am not certain I could replace it with another one like it

I gave up my old rolling pin. It was not worth the risk of getting sick. . rolling pin....feeling good.....rolling pin....FEELING GOOD! Kind of an easy decision to make for me. Wonder what others think?

I was diagnosed the year of our 25th wedding anniversary, so I treated myself to lots of new kitchen gadgets and piece of mind!

My Mom gave me HER old rolling pin. (She had celiac too.) And even though there was so much love in that old thing, I gave it away too when I got celiac. I gave it to a friend's daughter who was getting her first apartment and made her promise she would think of my Mom when she used it and put just as much love into her baked goods as Mom did.

I wouldn't use it. But...if it is really special why not use it as a craft type item. Scrub it good, put hooks in it and hang pot holder from it. I would pintrest for some cool repurposing ideas on it.