This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question On Product (Link Included)

symphonyofdreams547

symphonyofdreams547 Rookie

Open Original Shared Link

I'm confused as it says gluten free with the exception of natural occurring glutamates.   so essentially that means it's not gluten free?  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

It should have no gluten, but the glutamate is MSG. It bothers some people with and without celiac disease. I am Wary of using a product that is not nationally recognized and is in powdered form to boot. I would not buy it. Let's see if anyone else has.

Oh, one of the reviewers does not recommend it for those with celiac disease. There is wheat processed in the facilty. Not sure how well they clean the lines or if shared. I would contact the manufacturer.

kareng Grand Master

That glutamate part doesn't make any sense. Wonder if Amazon or whoever is selling it added that? Glutamate is part of MSG but not gluten. It does naturally occur in some foods. I think there are a few other brands that you could try. Were you the one with that Thread this week?

That glutamate part doesn't make any sense. Wonder if Amazon or whoever is selling it added that? Glutamate is part of MSG but not gluten. It does naturally occur in some foods. I think there are a few other brands that you could try. Were you the one with that Thread this week?

yes i was.  good cream of mushroom recommendations but still looking for onion soup mix

kareng Grand Master

This was the one I remembered

LauraTX Rising Star

It is also made in a facility that also processes wheat.  So in this case, if there are other options, I would go with the certified gluten-free one.  The glutamates statement sounds like ignorance of what gluten actually is, and makes me not trust the maker of the product to make correct statements.

LauraTX Rising Star

Also, would like to add that making your own cream of mushroom soup is very very easy.  You just make a cream sauce with mushrooms in it.  A recipe like this works great:

Just use your favorite gluten-free flour blend, or white rice flour, brown rice flour, etc (just not a nut flour no starch for the sauce in there) to make it gluten-free.

And if you want it to taste like the classic canned kind, add about a tablespoon of salt and leave out most of the mushrooms (Yeah Campbells, that was an insult).  Sherry can be left out, not really necessary.   If you don't have that exact combination of ingredients, just google recipes, lots of combinations of cream, milk, broth, etc.  Just use a gluten-free flour for the flour.  If you are not sure if yours will work, I will be glad to let you know what I think, I have tried a lot.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Also, would like to add that making your own cream of mushroom soup is very very easy.  You just make a cream sauce with mushrooms in it.  A recipe like this works great:

Just use your favorite gluten-free flour blend, or white rice flour, brown rice flour, etc (just not a nut flour no starch for the sauce in there) to make it gluten-free.

And if you want it to taste like the classic canned kind, add about a tablespoon of salt and leave out most of the mushrooms (Yeah Campbells, that was an insult).  Sherry can be left out, not really necessary.   If you don't have that exact combination of ingredients, just google recipes, lots of combinations of cream, milk, broth, etc.  Just use a gluten-free flour for the flour.  If you are not sure if yours will work, I will be glad to let you know what I think, I have tried a lot.

I actually found a gluten free cream of mushroom soup that tastes really good.   now i'm just searching for a onion soup mix and ya it does make me question that company so i'll have to make my own onion soup mix

LauraTX Rising Star

I actually found a gluten free cream of mushroom soup that tastes really good.   now i'm just searching for a onion soup mix and ya it does make me question that company so i'll have to make my own onion soup mix

Thats what I get for posting in the middle of the night, lol

Archived