Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paranoid

Can Somebody Confirm Something For Me

Can somebody confirm if the stuff that is wrote here is true or if it's a load of crap to incite fear into people and scam them?

http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/03/the-gluten-free-lie-why-most-celiacs-are-slowly-dying/

I don't know about everybody else, but I went through 7 years of pure physical and mental pain before the doctors finally told me I had Celiac disease. 7 Years of them telling me the pain was "all in my head".

I've been eating gluten free for I think 2 or so years now, and although things are much better, I'm still getting pains when I go to the toilet. Other than that, I'm usually fine for the most part.

My anxiety has also been going away. I've stopped thinking so negatively, and I've stopped trying to self diagnose problems by looking at the internet which always tells me the worst of things.

However, today I checked something and the title of that page that I linked made me double check.

I just need to know that  being Celiac isn't actually going to kill me, especially because I had those 7 years of eating gluten (my bowel is probably ruined beyond repair). I don't usually make posts like these, and instead tend to deal with things as they come, but I don't want my anxiety to stick around for as long as it did last time, so it would mean a great deal to me if somebody can confirm if what that site is saying is true or not.

Also, one more thing while I'm posting this. Does anybody else who has been gluten free for a while still get pains in their sides when using the toilet?

Thanks in advance.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I always like these people who take bits and pieces of research and spin it to sell thier products.

Perhaps pain in your sides when going to the bathroom is how your body works? I am not sure that a little gas pain is unusual or fatal? Lol

Join eNewsletter

Paranoid, take a deep breath. Actually, breathing correctly helps in many ways. You will be fine. But you will still experIence sensations "normal" folk do not. Worry less . Being happy is only part physical. Count your Blessings.

Join eNewsletter

I went undiagnosed for over 40 years. The last 15 were a living hell with me up for 2 to 3 hours every night with extremely painful D that would give me relief for only a few hours. Doctor after doctor told me there was nothing wrong with me even when I got to the point where I was covered in DH sores, had issues with memory, joint and muscle pain that made it impossible to hold a pencil or open a jar and needed canes to walk. I have healed for the most part. I still have some nervous system issues that are permanent but those started in childhood and I am just shy of sixty. I am still here. Don't let the fear spreaders on the internet that are trying to sell you something scare you. You will heal, as you have already seen. Some of us will still have a few issues but it doesn't mean that you won't or haven't healed. 

One thing you might want to do is make sure you don't have another intolerance. The most common are dairy and soy. If you are consuming those you might want to consider dropping both and then add them back in one at a time for a week. If the pain resolves and then comes back when you add them in drop the offender out of your diet for a couple months. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

That is a "Headline Grabber" and it's all done to get you scared and buy their products to "save your life".  It's very irresponsible.  The Gluten Free Diet puts Celiac in Remission once the gut is healed.  You do not continue to damage the body for your whole life.  That's not to say that you'll never get any diseases or conditions through your life.  7 years undiagnosed is around the average.  Some of us went 15 to 20 years undiagnosed and have permanent damage from Celiac and problems stemming from Celiac that we deal with for life.  

Don't be scared Hun.  Eat cleanly and you'll be fine.  I'm so glad you wanted us to look at that link.  I hate when sites try and scare people.  

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*Multiple AI Diseases

*General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

smiley-face-making-cocktail.gif

Join eNewsletter

I agree, it is the money.....but there is some truth to it.

Let's face it. Just eating gluten free can help you heal from celiac disease, but as a whole our typical Western diet has a lot to be desired. We are eating way too much food, too much sugar, too much junk.

Living with a gluten-free eater for 12 years prior to my diagnosis, made my learning curve shorter. Looking back, I was undiagnosed for well over a decade. I think I survived because I was able to indentify other intolerances, had my gallbladder removed, exercised, and ate gluten light (at least for dinner ). Stomach issues really resolved (used to have an IBS diagnosis prior to the GB surgery) and the anemia came and went. My body kept adapting and symptoms changed.. I improved over the first year on the gluten-free diet and avoiding foods such as eggs, milk, nuts, and garlic as I had been for years. Then I discovered new intolerances like those found in gluten-free recipes -- gums. So, I cut those out.

After a year I got my diabetes diagnosis. So, I researched and decided that a low carb high fat diet worked well for keeping my blood sugar stable and in safe ranges. I have been on this diet (plus, gluten-free) for a year and a half. Boy, this really helped my healing and I feel great. No grains, except for occasional treats, and whole foods that I make.

I am back to training for century rides (100 miles), my brain is back, thyroid stable (fingers crossed) and I am hoping for a good bone scan result in July!

Am I 100%? Well, I am 53 and am aging like everyone else! I will never be 30 years old again!

All the "studies" mentioned in the link? The bottom line is that no one knows! Not enough research has been done and that is from the leading experts. One OP posted minutes from an FDA conference this week. The manuscript is 268 pages long or so. The goal was to determine what kind of drug could be developed that would not cure celiac disease but perhaps lessen the emotional issues (e.g. Going out to eat and preventing cross contamination). What was agreed on by all the participants is that they do not have enough research! A few studies just does not cut it! Think about the daily news. We are bombarded with things like coffee is good for you and the next study shows that it is bad.

It is hard to sift through everything on the Internet. What is valid and what is not.

So, just go forward, adhere to the diet and identify other intolerances that may be bothering you. Eat healthy and cut out the junk!

I wish you well.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

I agree.  I lot of scary headlines there that don't have much behind them.  Some of them may be true but I think many were taken out of context.

It can take a few years to heal from celiac disease.  Going gluten-free isn't like avoiding an allergen - it isn't a quick fix.  Stick it out for the long run and you will get better.  No, you may not get back to 100%, but many celiacs do. Just hang in there and you may see results.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter