This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Business Lunch Tomorrow

CK1901

CK1901 Explorer

So I have to go to NYC with my boss tomorrow and have lunch with a small group of people that we regularly do business with. I am super nervous and have tried to breach the topic with my boss, but was left unclear whether he has let them know about my dietary restriction (Which he knows about, but is generally not that sensitive towards.) The end of the conversation was left with "We will just pick something on the fly." I am not okay with this. What do I do? Freaking out!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

You might be able to get a plain baked potato UNCUT at the restaurant. You should also bring some Lara bars or something similar that you can keep in your purse.

I don't know what your job situation is like but your boss really should accomadate your dietary needs. When you get to the restaurant and eat just a potato or nothing at all I'm sure people will ask. Then you can tell them why and I bet your boss will be shamed by these people you're meeting for not insisting on a restaurant you could actually eat at.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Don't freak out bring something with you. If they are just going to pick something up on the fly to me that means either fast food, subs, pizza etc and may not be planning on a sit down at a restaurant anyway. Even if they are there is no reason not to bring your own sandwich or salad or whatever you might enjoy. If anyone says anything just explain you have 'food sensitives or refer to it as allergies' no need to give any detailed explanation. 

Relax and get a good nights sleep and enjoy the trip as much as you can. 

Nikki2777 Community Regular

NYC is very gluten free aware.  At business lunches with new people, I generally don't inform everyone because I don't want to make my celiac the agenda and it gets us off track.  I either call the restaurant ahead of time and ask about the menu and ask them to describe me to the waiter so that when I order, waiter will know to tell kitchen to take extra precautions, or I get up to go to the ladies room just after we order and corner the waiter and explain.  If it's just my department, I have no problems mentioning my celiac at the table.

If you tell me what neighborhood you'll be in, I'll try and make some suggestions as to restaurants you can steer them to.

Oh, and I agree with previous poster - sometimes I just say 'I have a lot of dietary issues' and order nothing but a drink or something I trust.

CK1901 Explorer

Update here ---overall this went fine.

The problem was that I couldn't get anyone to tell me what restaurant we were going to in advance. We ended up at two places that didn't offer gluten free menus, but the waiters were very nice about trying to accomodate me. Did a salad at the first place, fish and vegetables at the next. I got hit with some cross contamination and ended up with a gluten hangover and  hives, but it will pass. I was able to skirt by without getting sick in front of anyone, so i guess it's okay.

CK1901 Explorer

made a mistake and at the dressing that came my salad...they said it was gluten-free...but I suspect it wasn't. Oil and Vinegar only moving forward....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Glad you're ok, but it's a shame you got glutened.  Yes, oil and vinegar is my only option when I'm out, unless I bring my own dressing (I used to order packets of dressing and gluten-free soy sauce at minimus.com to carry with me)

Someone here mentioned a trick if they accidentally bring you a salad with croutons on it.  When you send it back, hide a crouton in the bottom of the bowl, under all the lettuce.  When it comes back, look for your crouton, and if it's there, you can tell that they just picked off the croutons and that the salad is not to be eaten.

kareng Grand Master

Glad you're ok, but it's a shame you got glutened.  Yes, oil and vinegar is my only option when I'm out, unless I bring my own dressing (I used to order packets of dressing and gluten-free soy sauce at minimus.com to carry with me)

Someone here mentioned a trick if they accidentally bring you a salad with croutons on it.  When you send it back, hide a crouton in the bottom of the bowl, under all the lettuce.  When it comes back, look for your crouton, and if it's there, you can tell that they just picked off the croutons and that the salad is not to be eaten.

Even easier to find- stick a sugar packet in the bottom of the salad.  If its meat with bread on the plate, to make sure you get a fresh plate - cut the meat in half.  And maybe a sugar packet, too?  :D

nvsmom Community Regular

Ooooh, good tricks, ladies!

nonnarae Rookie

oh I love the sugar packet idea, but how do you know if they just plopped the meat on a new plate? do we need a whole piece? I have not eaten out yet. SCARED

Archived