Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brit1612

Pale / Light Yellow Stools

So, I had a thread a couple weeks ago about my son not seeming to get over a stomach bug / or possibly being glutened.  The diahrrea finally ended a few days ago, at which time the constipation kicked back in.  Now he is having just slightly loose, close to normal stools.  But I have been wondering about the color of his stools.  He has never (since all this started over a year ago) had your typical medium brown stool.  He constantly has a light yellow color, sometimes it is clay looking and sometimes it looks pretty pale.  But NEVER brown.  When his issues first started it was almost always green.

Now we have been gluten free for a couple months again (after going back on gluten for testing) and still trying to figure out if gluten has anything to do with his issues or not?!  Should I be concerned that even while being gluten free his stool is never a brown color?  He otherwise seems healthy.  Am I overthinking this.....do some people just not have brown poop, or is it always caused by a health issue?

Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I wondered the same thing. It appears as though earth tones (brown, yellow, orange, green) are all on the spectrum of normal, but black, white, and clay colored would be something to discuss with your doctor. I've been documenting all variations of poop in a notebook to discuss at our next visit.

Join eNewsletter

I'm sorry as I haven't got the time to read your previous posts just now but I am wondering if your son has a dairy intolerance? I think I read somewhere that that can cause pale, yellow stools. Worth discussing with your doctor.

Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

BRITISH

Join eNewsletter

I'm sorry as I haven't got the time to read your previous posts just now but I am wondering if your son has a dairy intolerance? I think I read somewhere that that can cause pale, yellow stools. Worth discussing with your doctor.

Yes, he has come back twice positive on the reducing substance test, which apparently means he is lactose intolerant. But he has been dairy free for about a year now, he does drink a lot of lactaid though. Could this still be affecting him even without the lactose?

Join eNewsletter

He could be casien intolerant, the protein in milk, instead of or in addition to lactose intolerant. If you think dairy is a problem you could eliminate cows milk products for a bit and see if it helps. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Chandra Gunawan
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts