Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

abenedum

Albertson's Essential Chips Are Not Gluten Free

I was so excited the other day when I found that  Albertson's store brand, Essentials, nacho cheese chips were labeled as Gluten Free.  I dearly love nacho chips with salsa.  They also had barbeque chips and sour cream/onions chips.  Well, I had some nacho chips and salsa and trust me, it was NOT gluten free.  Granted, I also had a new salsa labeled as gluten free but it is a brand that I have used before so I trust the salsa over the chips!

I called Albertson's and they are sending my inquiry to the manufacturer.  They said someone should be in contact with me next week.  In the meantime, I would warn off anyone that might purchase these items.

Has someone else ever tried these products and had a different result?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you have only been gluten free for a couple of months you most likely haven't healed yet and the chips and salsa combo may have been too much for your system. In addition you may have other intolerances that are becoming more obvious now that gluten has been dropped. It also can take a few days for the antibodies to build up and cause a reaction. As boring as it is it is best to go with less processed foods at first and a food and symptom diary can help us pinpoint other intolerances and what our symptom pattern is when we do get glutened. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

This is only my second month on a gluten free diet, so I wasn't even aware there are test strips. Can you tell me about them please and where I would purchase them?

I didn't think so. All I meant was, you don't really know they have gluten. Personally, I would trust the word of a company labeling them as gluten-free over a person who has only been gluten-free for 2 months. I know a lot of people who don't have Celiac that might have an issue with eating a bunch of those. :)

Sorry. Not trying to be harsh. Just trying to make a point. If I didn't eat or drink all the things people said they had a gluten reaction to - I would have nothing to eat or drink . I have seen people insist there was gluten in tap or bottled water, the inside part of oranges even tampons ( not sure who eats these? Lol)

Join eNewsletter

You may well be correct that I am becoming more sensitive to spicy foods now that I am gluten free.  I have eaten other salsa and chips since going on the gluten-free diet without any problems.  That is why my first thought was that the chips were not as gluten free as they said

I will continue to monitor my reaction to different products and still talk with the manufacturer just to be on the safe side. I have never had any other food reactions in my life and this is all new to me.

Join eNewsletter

As Karen said, at just two months into the recovery process, you may not have healed completely yet. While healing, you may react to foods that have no gluten, but are otherwise a challenge to the digestive system by being spicy or acidic, or for some other reason.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter