Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ThisIsMyUserName

Gluten During Recovery

Almost four weeks since diagnosis, many slipups, but none in almost two weeks. Today I felt super glutened (feeling poisoned, got the sweats, very nauseous) but not as bad as I have been (vomiting, horrible everything, etc). I was super, super careful lately and went back and just can't think of anything it could have been. So the key question is: is it possible I am just having some random bad moments during a slow recovery, or is it that I was definitely glutened? I find the latter discouraging, seeing how careful I've been.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

In my experience, you were probably glutened. I've been shocked at the place the sneaky little glutens can hide. Did you try a new skin care product? (Many of those have gluten) Did you eat from a possible cross contaminated restaurant or bakery? (Sadly, the existence of a "gluten free" menu in a restaurant isn't enough; Flour can stay in the air for hours after it is used and contaminate your meal).

I also try to be extremely careful and have had times where I've wracked my brain to figure out what could have gluttened me to no avail. Yet the more I learn about all the places to look for hidden gluten, the more convinced I am that *somehow* a bit found it's way into my body one way or another.

The other thing you may want to consider is other food allergies?

Hang in there and I hope you feel better soon!

Join eNewsletter

4 weeks gluten free isn't enough to heal Celiac. You have only been gluten-free, you think, for 2 weeks. It's just not enough time to heal. It can take a month just to get the hang of things. Even if you were completely healed and any vitamin deficiencies corrected - it can take months to get the whole system in balance and in good working order. Give it some more time.

Join eNewsletter

I had a few odd moments in the first half year gluten-free where I felt glutened but I KNOW I was not because I was eating at home (my house was gluten-free).  It is not uncommon to have symptoms return for no reason in that first year.  At only 4 months gluten-free, chances are that you are still making autoantibodies so it is little wonder that symptoms return.  For most celiacs it takes a LEAST 3 months to get their autoantibodies down to normal levels - most celiacs are closer to 6 months.  I was still abnormal after 9 months gluten-free and I positive I only had 3 accidental glutenings, all in the early months of my recovery.

That being said, you may have been glutened.  Re-read all of your labels, and continue to read every label when you purchase something as well as just before you use it (sometimes it slips past you).  It will become second nature in a few more months.

Some find that taking probiotics (be very careful it is gluten-free) and L-glutamine can help a stomach feel better faster.  Might be something to consider.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter