Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ThisIsMyUserName

Understanding Cross-Contamination: The Deli Counter

So I'm still figuring this out. Got glutened this weekend, and I spent hours going back through everything I ate and reconfirming that it was all gluten-free.The only thing I could come up with as a possibility is that I got gluten-free deli at the deli counter, but maybe the slicer had so gluten or something? Is it possible to get enough gluten that way to have a reaction? This is important to me, because if it's not, I need to go bck and figure out what's happening. Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Can't say that I handle this right, but I only eat packaged cold cuts in general.  One exception is a local place where they only use Boars Head meats and I've asked them and they say they never slice anything but meat and cheese on the slicer.  Even so, I ask them to change their gloves first.  Generally, I buy packaged.

Join eNewsletter

So I'm still figuring this out. Got glutened this weekend, and I spent hours going back through everything I ate and reconfirming that it was all gluten-free.The only thing I could come up with as a possibility is that I got gluten-free deli at the deli counter, but maybe the slicer had so gluten or something? Is it possible to get enough gluten that way to have a reaction? This is important to me, because if it's not, I need to go bck and figure out what's happening. Thanks!

It sure is possible.  The slicers are a concern for cheese cold cuts and the Meat products in the Meat case can cause cc.  If they put stuffed pork chops in the case with a sirloin steak, you don't know if a crumble of the stuffing got onto the steak.  I only buy packaged cheese and most meat from the butcher near us but eat packaged meat from the store.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*Multiple AI Diseases

*General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

smiley-face-making-cocktail.gif

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter