Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CeliacMommaX2

"gluten Free" Label Question

Am I correct that if a product says "gluten free" on it, it has been tested and is less than 20 ppm even if it has a disclaimer that it is made in a facility that manufactures products with wheat?

I'm specifically looking at my bag of Snapea Crisps right now...

Thank you!

Mom to 2 young kids with celiac, diagnosed March 2015

*Gluten free household

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Am I correct that if a product says "gluten free" on it, it has been tested and is less than 20 ppm even if it has a disclaimer that it is made in a facility that manufactures products with wheat?

I'm specifically looking at my bag of Snapea Crisps right now...

Thank you!

Depends - just the words gluten-free don't necessarily mean it was tested.  The law doesn't say they must test - but if they are called on it by the govt, it better test at <20 ppm.

There are certain agencies that "certify" gluten free.  Basically, they give companies training and allow them to use a symbol to show they are testing and meeting the standards of that agency.  One is a gluten-free in a circle.  I think another is a gluten-free and a wheat stalk in a circle.

If they don't have one of those symbols, you could check with the company.  It seems that more and more companies are doing some testing because of the new law but not paying to use the "certified" symbol.

Join eNewsletter

In Canada, we have it easier.  It the product possibly has gluten in it, in the bottom of the ingredients list it must say "may contain gluten".  I tend to go by that more than looking for gluten-free labels.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter