Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

lacey

Do I Need To Purchase Gluten Free Makeup, Soap, Shampoo?

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes and no.  If it gets in your mouth - it needs to be gluten-free.  So obviously, lipstick, needs to be gluten-free.  I look for gluten-free lotions and shampoos because I seem to get them in my mouth.  I don't worry about mascara or the hair dye at the beauty parlor.

The gluten reaction happens in the small intestine.

"...Because gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin, the use of cosmetic and shampoos containing gluten has not been shown to be detrimental to patients with celiac disease or DH. However, we do recommend gluten-free lip products, hand lotions and other products that may end up near the mouth. And, in the case of children, a gluten-free shampoo would be wise."

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/what-ingredients-should-i-avoid-in-cosmetic-products

Join eNewsletter

I prefer everything to be gluten free. I have found that most products are clearly labeled.

I use Maybelline Great Lash, I sometimes rub my eyes so prefer all makeup is gluten free including mascara. The Physicians Secret line has a lot of gluten free foundations, blushes etc. Of course there are others that are good and safe also but I don't wear much makeup and once I saw gluten free labeled on some of their products I just grabbed those.

There are a lot of good gluten free shampoos and conditioners. I find most are labeled clearly with 'wheat protein, wheat germ oil, or oats so it is pretty easy to weed out the ones you don't want to use. 

Most soaps I have seen are okay. I have quite a collection as I love to put them in drawers to scent them.

If you have stuff at home that you like and have lost the ingredients to post what they are and someone may be able to tell you if they are safe or not. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Burts Bees lip balms are all gluten-free as far as I know. I've also found that the higher end department store stuff is all going gluten-free now (but who can afford $35-$50 a tube for lipstick???)

I had an extraordinarily BAD reaction to hair coloring right before my diagnosis. I used that as an excuse to stop coloring my hair. I'm glad I did, the money I'm saving from THAT is just going into EVERYTHING ELSE I have to do gluten-free!

Like others have said, the Celiac reaction is in your gut...so supposedly only if the item is going into your mouth somehow will it "matter". I've found that RETAIL THERAPY helps me sometimes and getting into the habit of reading labels & looking for gluten-free is only a good thing. If it makes you feel better, then do it. It can't hurt for something to be gluten-free if it doesn't have to be but can REALLY hurt if it's not and it needs to be!

Join eNewsletter

Personally, I'd rather have all gluten free products. Then I don't ever have to worry about how close the product is getting to my mouth. I haven't found it very difficult to do all gluten free products, there are lots of options nowadays.

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

Join eNewsletter

I make sure everything I use is gluten free, and my skin has improved so much! I also have a wheat allergy, though. Face Naturals, 100% Pure, and Dr. Bronner's are all great gluten free, all natural, and cruelty free companies. Coconut oil is good for a moisturizer. And personally, I've found that my hair is much healthier with less products. No more fancy serums, sprays, etc. Good luck :)

Diagnosed via blood test: July 2013

Digestive Issues: Lactose Intolerance, Candidiasis, recurring hiatal hernia, possible SIBO

Skin Issues: Rosacea, Seborrheic Dermatitis, Tinea Versicolor

Sleeping Issues: Idiopathic Central Nervous System Hypersomnia, Sleep Paralysis

Allergies: Severe Seasonal allergies,histamine intolerance (under control) sulpha drugs, Oral Allergy Syndrome

Other: TMJ, Gallstones, Orthostatic Hypotension, Dysmennorhea, possible Adrenal Fatigue

Gluten Free - 07/13, Soy Free 05/14, Legume Free 05/14, Dairy Free 09/14, Grain Free 10/14

"I am in control of my own health" - working on crossing everything off this list.

Join eNewsletter