Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Writenow

Question: Do Other Ingredients Besides Gluten Matter?

Rate this topic

Do you watch for any other problematic ingredients when cooking gluten-free aside from gluten? A recent post on Paleoandjuliet dot com talked about the magazine, Gluten-Free Living and recipes that included food coloring. Wondering whether you're strictly gluten-free, but will eat other unhealthy ingredients, or you're gluten-free and try to eliminate all unhealthy choices?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I think it's sometimes a problem with the definition of what is unhealthy? A few drops of food coloring? Butter? Wine? Potatoes? Carbs? Fats? Gluten? Corn? Grains? Dairy? Red meat? Fish? Nuts?

I eat peanuts, but for some people, that would be a very unhealthy choice. I eat non- gluten grains. I think that is healthy for me but some people will tell you that is unhealthy.

Food coloring could be left out of a recipe or you could use a natural one.

Join eNewsletter

In general, if you recognize an ingredient without a degree in chemistry, it is probably healthier than the chemicals.  Highly processed foods should not be the basis of anyone's diet (darn it  :P).  For me, I had to cut apples pears and most dairy but other foods were fine.  Others have issues with other foods like soy or corn.  Beyond gluten, and lactose intolerance in half of all celiacs before they are healed, most foods should be fine.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Food is such a personal thing! I am gluten free five years and paleo (no processed) for the past two years. So, personally, I will not eat anything that has additives in it. That said, to be totally honest, I do eat out once a month which means that I am at the mercy of the establishment for unhealthy choices. My overall health had improved greatly in the past two years of eating paleo so for me, personally, no processed foods works.

Join eNewsletter

Do you watch for any other problematic ingredients when cooking gluten-free aside from gluten? A recent post on Paleoandjuliet dot com talked about the magazine, Gluten-Free Living and recipes that included food coloring. Wondering whether you're strictly gluten-free, but will eat other unhealthy ingredients, or you're gluten-free and try to eliminate all unhealthy choices?

people with celiac disease can also have sensitivity to dairy

it will cause inflammation similar to gluten

best to get a lactose tolerance test

Join eNewsletter

Personally, I didn't get much better until I went on the SCD diet.  (No gluten, grains, sugar, etc.--there are lots of etc.s!)  And I recently stopped dairy again.  (SCD allows some dairy.)  I eat only whole food I make myself.  No colorings or additives.  I'm 5 1/2 years gluten free; so I'm willing to try anything to get better.  If you do try SCD, read the BTVC book and use it (and only it) for reference.  There are lots of claims made on the internet claiming to be SCD-legal that aren't.

Like others have said, you're probably going to have to figure it out by simply trying things.  We are all unique!

Edited by manasota
typo

Join eNewsletter