Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Rate this topic

Diagnosed as NCGI. Two months gluten free. Felt better, but still horrible. So discussions on this board and reading academic papers suggested that oats, milk, and corn can also be a problem, so I cut those out; felt better, but still horrible. Then I found this site: http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn-allergen-list.phpwhich lists all the ingredients which are derived from corn, and I cut all those out. And I felt immediately... good. Weird. I guess I am gluten/corn/dairy/oats intolerant?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Diagnosed as NCGI. Two months gluten free. Felt better, but still horrible. So discussions on this board and reading academic papers suggested that oats, milk, and corn can also be a problem, so I cut those out; felt better, but still horrible. Then I found this site: http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn-allergen-list.phpwhich lists all the ingredients which are derived from corn, and I cut all those out. And I felt immediately... good. Weird. I guess I am gluten/corn/dairy/oats intolerant?

Maybe it was corn all along?  Maybe the other things you have cut don't bother you?  Maybe you can try adding something back in to your diets - in a few months.

Join eNewsletter

That's my hope (and then I'm on the wrong discussion board!) but I keep a food diary and I do seem to have real problems with gluten and oats as well. That said, there's no way to know for sure, since I was on at least some corn through those tests. I agree: I'll just avoid everything for a few months and, if I'm doing well all along, try a very controlled experiment on each of the other things.

Join eNewsletter

That is a great site. It helped me tremendously when I was corn intolerant. I too wondered if it had been just corn all along. (I don't have insurance so I never got tested.) But my Mom had celiac (diagnosed in the 80's) and based on that and my response to the gluten-free diet my doctor gave me a diagnosis.

For the first three and a half years I was also intolerant to corn and soy (among other things). After I finally healed I got those things back. I have no scientific proof whatsoever but I suspect that NCGI is related to celiac. Maybe you too will get corn back someday.

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter