Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Rate this topic

I was just recently diagnosed with Celiac.  I have low iron and vitamin D because of the Celiac.  It is my understanding that even though I've been on the vitamins for awhile now that until my small intestine heals, I won't have normal levels.  I have extreme fatigue which they have chalked up to the vitamin definciencies.  Does anyone know of anything that can help until my intestine heals through my gluten free diet.  I have four kids and I am a teacher.  I have no time for no energy!!! :wacko:

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I was like that, too.  Keep taking your iron and B12 (helps the iron work for you).  Don't take the iron with calcium  foods, take on an empty stomach if possible, etc - all the stuff it says on the script.  Every week you will absorb more and more.  It takes about a month to make completely new set of red blood cells.  In a month, I felt a lot better!

You can get a sublingual B12 that absorbs under the tongue, so some of it will avoid the damaged GI system.

Join eNewsletter

What Karen said is true. I would add that if your kids are old enough (and school is out) let them help you as much as possible. Plus, think about lowering your standards for a while. Just let things go! Soon you will be back to normal!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter