Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

CeliacMommaX2

Can I Trust All "gluten Free" Labels?

Rate this topic

When my kids were initially diagnosed, I was told (by the dietition) that if it says "gluten free" then it's safe even if it has the "made in a facility with wheat, etc".  Is this true?  I've gotten very paranoid as my daughter has still not gained weight after 4 months gluten free.

I just have no idea what products to trust.  I have a hard time telling if my kids are reacting to a certain food... they are only 3 & 5 and can't really tell me "I think I reacted to those crackers".  What if a products doesn't actually say anything about "manufactured in a facility..." but they were and it just isn't on the label.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Mom to 2 young kids with celiac, diagnosed March 2015

*Gluten free household

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am not really an expert on labels but, I do not buy anything that is made in a facility that process wheat.  I feel it is safer not to take chances, your children are so young they cannot tell you if they have minor problems. Stay with whole foods or certified gluten free. At least that is my opinion.

Join eNewsletter

Companies do not have to disclose whether or not they process wheat in the same facility or equipment. You could be eating something on a regular basis that is made in the same facility and not even know it.

Here's they way I handle it. Same facility? I don't worry about it. The chances of CC are tiny. As has been pointed out here many times, unless your entire family is gluten-free your own kitchen is a "same facility".

Same EQUIPMENT? That's a different story. I've worked at enough places of all kinds to know that many employees will take shortcuts and some will try to get away with doing as little work as possible. Therefore I don't trust them to clean the machinery well enough to keep me safe.

Now here's the good news - there are some companies who will always tell you. Kraft Foods, Con Agra, Nestle's and some others. They don't pay for testing in order to keep their prices down, but their labels will clearly list any gluten ingredients and clearly have the facility/equipment warning. And these are parent companies whose brands cover just about any type of food you can think of. You can google them and find out what brands they are comprised of.

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

My opinion, after testing many products with a gluten test kit, is that foods labeled gluten-free usually are. Read carefully though. My wife bought a little cheese cake that was labeled gluten-free. On close examination the boldly written gluten free label was describing the cooking powder used in the cake, one ingredient. Wheat was another ingredient so the product did contain gluten.

The flip side is supplements like multivitamins and glucosamine. Some labeled gluten-free may conain gluten. 

Be aware that the test I use measures down to 10ppm which means that even though the product contains gluten it may still be a legal amount to wear the label, eg. 10ppm<G<20ppm.

BTW. does anyone know if supplements are held to same standards as food?

Dan

Join eNewsletter

Well I think the law is 20PPM for labeling gluten-free, sometimes that is to much for certain people. Alot of people can eat gluten-free oats for example. Others cannot. I do not eat gluten-free boxed stuff, but once every so often. Like crackers or such.  I eat whole foods. Eat freash meat and veggies. I do eat gluten-free rice. It's the only rice I eat. I am very careful with CC . I do the cooking I cook hubbs food first and then my own in my pans with my utensils. It may seem to be a PITA to some but it works for us. Don't fall for the gluten-free isle. I feel 20 ppm and how much of it you eat, you will be eating to much Gluten. Just my opinion. Also if your concerned about a certain food you can call the company. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

Join eNewsletter

There is one company I know of that makes gluten-free food in a dedicated gluten-free facility. Against The Grain. They don't even let employees bring gluten for lunch. And Ronzoni makes a gluten-free pasta that is made in a dedicated gluten-free facility in Italy.

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

My 2 cents. if you're that worried about cross contamination then don't eat out unless you grill the chef & manager. Even then I won't eat out unless it's a totally gluten free place.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

I am learning the gluten-free label doesn't mean much. Some things say safe from gluten or naturally gluten free. I also find supplements unless checked by a third party the gluten-free status means nothing. I also joined a new site called gluten free watch dogs via Facebook. They actually will test things with lab testing. The gluten-free test kit we use at home is not sensitive to barley :(

Join eNewsletter