• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Guest DanceswithWolves

Could It Be Gluten-withdrawl?

Rate this topic

I know that I'm not the first one to suggest this, but the ole "going back to the basics" would help you get a handle on what is causing your reactions. Potatoes are a good start. Maybe add some fresh meat, cooked simply (you need your protein!!). Do you like rice? Cooked vegetables--start with easy to digest ones like green beans, squash, etc. At the beginning maybe leave out the corn and soy products--its not uncommon to react to those. I use no dairy at all. You could try a peroid without that, too and see if it makes a difference. It sounds like a lot to give up, but really, there are a lot of nice filling meals you can make with the basic foods and gradually you will add things back to see how it goes. Potato chips make a good snack at work as well as the cashews, walnuts are also good and a great source of Omege 3 fat that is good for you. No more pretzels--you don't need to eat things that will spoil all of your efforts in the right direction. Keep moving forward, even if slowly, because you are worth it and any time you need a hand, we'll be here. :)

What about milk and dairy products? Do most of you serious Celiacs cut out dairy completley? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm finding the dairy protein casein has probably done me as much or more harm than gluten. I've improved dramatically from avoiding all dairy except real butter, which is mostly fat.

You'll never really know unless you consistently avoid gluten and/or casein. It takes willpower, discipline and preplanning.

This may veer a little off topic, but I feel it's necessary to say: we're all unique and we all have complicated lists of seemingly unrelated symptoms. Gluten may or may not be the source of each person's problems. Or it could be gluten and casein. Or it could be gluten and a combination of other common allergens... eggs, tree nuts, peanuts, soy, etc.

Even though this is a gluten-free forum, we don't want to see every newbie here as a nail, simply because we have a hammer. Those of us who are "undiagnosed" are desperate for quick answers, but - sadly - it's been my experience we must all do our own homework, research and dietary trial and error.

With me, I guess potatoes are really the one thing I know that will fill me. I'll actually feel full.

Good! Like I said, I make the instant ones often - with water, so there's no dairy either. That can help you keep to safe foods while you pinpoint all the no-no's. Sprinkle some sprouts on top if you like. As has already been stated, you need the protein too. When I first had to cut out foods, I was going bananas trying to fill out meals. But it got easier once I got my brain wrapped around new food ideas. We get so used to certain things that we don't see the multitude of possibilities. That's one thing this forum is helping me with too :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• May 22, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • June 01, 2019 Until June 02, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 

• July 07, 2019 Until August 03, 2019
      For more information, visit www.kefss.com or call (407) 255-6550. info@kefss.com 

KEF USA Summer Camps Announces the New KEF Gluten-Free Camp in Orlando, Florida for Youths with Celiac Disease.

[Orlando, FL February 6, 2019]-KEF USA is excited to announce that we will offer a new 100% gluten-free camp program to give kids and teens with Celiac Disease a safe, exciting and healthy summer. KEF USA programs offer fun and unique experiences that can only be found in Orlando, Florida. Campers explore the theme parks and local attractions, make new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime.