Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Rate this topic

I keep hearing about gin soaked raisins. The People's Pharmacy on NPR was talking about them again this morning and they claim that for some reason they work for arthritis pain. The recipe calls for golden raisins and they think it might be something about the sulfites reacting with the juniper in the gin.

So anyway although the regular raisins are gluten-free, Sunmaid's website says the golden raisins are made in a facility that processes wheat. gluten-free Watchdog checked them out but I can't get the report because I'm not a subscriber. Anybody here had them? I really want to try this because the arthritis in my wrists is getting a lot worse and I need my hands!

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Well I took the chance and have some soaking in Beefeater's right now. They have to soak for ten days and then you're supposed to eat nine raisins a day. Supposedly some time between two to eight weeks you're supposed to start seeing results. I will report back and let you all know.

Thanks!

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

Well I took the chance and have some soaking in Beefeater's right now. They have to soak for ten days and then you're supposed to eat nine raisins a day. Supposedly some time between two to eight weeks you're supposed to start seeing results. I will report back and let you all know.

Thanks!

Do they need to be refrigerated? Thanks for providing the 'recipe'. Would be great if it works so let us know. I hate gin but if it helps give some relief it is welll worth choking them down.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

No refrigeation is necessary while they are soaking. They say just leave them on the counter covered with a paper towel so dust and stuff doesn't get into them. Most of the gin will evaporate and that's fine. After the ten days you can transfer them into a closed jar and either keep them in the fridge or in the cabinet.

I think I'm going to use the fridge because it's hot outside and cold ones will go down better. I don't like gin OR raisins but at this point I'm desperate. Heck, if GREEN BEANS (my least favorite food on the planet) helped I would eat them gladly!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

No refrigeation is necessary while they are soaking. They say just leave them on the counter covered with a paper towel so dust and stuff doesn't get into them. Most of the gin will evaporate and that's fine. After the ten days you can transfer them into a closed jar and either keep them in the fridge or in the cabinet.

I think I'm going to use the fridge because it's hot outside and cold ones will go down better. I don't like gin OR raisins but at this point I'm desperate. Heck, if GREEN BEANS (my least favorite food on the planet) helped I would eat them gladly!

Maybe you need to soak your stomach in gin first?

Join eNewsletter

Maybe you need to soak your stomach in gin first?

:lol: I wish it would work with tequila soaked blueberries. Now THOSE I would really enjoy!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

Raisins are just dried grapes. They do not need refrigeration. Gin does not need refrigeration, although chilling it improves the drinking pleasure ;) I can't imagine why these would need to be refrigerated, but it will do no harm.

As to whether it works, je ne sais pas.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

Bartie....I eat SunMaid Golden Raisins with absolutely no problems and you all know how sensitive I am to gluten.  Made in a shared facility does not equal unsafe, as we know.  SunMaid is a reputable company that has been around for ages so eat them with pleasure!  ;)

Let us know how that goes, in case I ever start having arthritis symptoms. :)

Join eNewsletter