Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

ahron1988

How Long Until I See Positive Results?

Rate this topic

Hello Everyone,

I'm non-celiac, self diagnosed gluten-intolerant. 

I'm 27 years old and for the past several years Iv'e been suffering of chronic fatigue, brain fog, inability to concentrate some depression. 

3 weeks ago I decided to experiment a gluten-free diet to see if this will alleviate my symptoms. 

In week 1 I got very excited because I did feel significantly better. But in weeks 2 and 3 I felt that I'm going backwards, as the symptoms were coming back. I would just add that in weeks 2 and 3 there were 2-3 days where I DID feel good, but overall I didn't feel like I'm making real progress.

So, my question to you is, should I continue with this diet? Did anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks for you responses.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hello Everyone,

I'm non-celiac, self diagnosed gluten-intolerant. 

I'm 27 years old and for the past several years Iv'e been suffering of chronic fatigue, brain fog, inability to concentrate some depression. 

3 weeks ago I decided to experiment a gluten-free diet to see if this will alleviate my symptoms. 

In week 1 I got very excited because I did feel significantly better. But in weeks 2 and 3 I felt that I'm going backwards, as the symptoms were coming back. I would just add that in weeks 2 and 3 there were 2-3 days where I DID feel good, but overall I didn't feel like I'm making real progress.

So, my question to you is, should I continue with this diet? Did anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks for you responses.

Just curious.....how do you know you are not a Celiac?

Join eNewsletter

Can you get copies of the tests he did and post them here? A lot of doctors don't know enough about celiac to do the full panel.

But to answer your first question, a lot of us had that wonderful "grace period" where we started to feel great, then backslid. It takes a long time to heal.

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

There are other types of food allergies and sensitivities that can effect the brain besides gluten. One idea is to limit your diet to a few very basic foods for a few days and see if anything changes.  Wheat, corn, soy, eggs, dairy are some common problem foods for some people.

Wheat sensitive. Probably Celiac disease but it could be an allergic response. I get very strong anxiety and then autistic symptoms whenever I eat wheat. It is probably a form of encephalitis (swelling in the brain due to wheat) but I am not sure.  Things that I avoid: All grain, alcohol, eggs, dairy, processed food.

Join eNewsletter

Hi, Just to say I'm in the same boat. Sorry to hear your not feeling great.

I had a lot of blood work done. Negative to the Celiac test. But stopping gluten made me feel great. Before it slowly started to come back but not as intense. It does seem to be other foods that trigger it. So I'm on a very restricted diet at the moment and I'm off to see a dietitian soon. I find that I react pretty quickly after 30 minutes or so. so I can tell pretty quickly if something is reacting. I'm hoping that it will slowly start to get better. but, not sure if there is anything to heal as a NCGS.

Dont give up.

Join eNewsletter