Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

LookingforAnswers15

How Do You Cope With New Symptoms?

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I used to consider myself brave but not any more. I am so worried about everything these days and I admire so much strong kids and adults on this forum. 

I cannot stop thinking about doctors because I am scared of possible new diagnosis because I have been experiencing other symptoms. I am so terrified to even write down what I am scared of. Tomorrow is my MRI and while I want to hope for the best, I am so scared. I go back and forth when thinking about it and trying to find reasoning for some of my symptoms. I experience so many emotions and I have never felt fear like this before and I have been though a lot. Lately, all my emotions seem so heightened, I feel like someone is choking me, probably get an anxiety attack and just start crying. When I went to see a doctor, i just started crying because of my body feeling weak and being scared. I am horrible at hiding how I am feeling so my family can see if I am not doing well, which hurts them, so then I am worried about their well-being.

Hope that all of you that are going through a tough time now, start feeling better soon.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this. :(

I wish I could give everyone a bit of my "ostrich syndrome". Over the years I have gotten really good at not thinking about things that would bother most people. Maybe I should call it Scarlett syndrome instead, as in Scarlett O'Hara's famous saying - "I'll think about it tomorrow."

I have no insurance so I can't get tested for the new things that have popped up in my health. I use Dr. Google, which can be a real problem for some folks. They scare themselves silly! But I just don't worry. For example, I'm pretty sure now that I have Lupus. It runs in the family (grandmother, an aunt, and an uncle.) The arthritis in my wrists and fingers that seems to move around, the fatigue, the rash on my face, the occasional unexplained fevers, those all add up to lupus.

Is it? Maybe. Probably. I don't know. I wish I didn't have these symptoms but there's not much I can do. My aunt who has been diagnosed with it has the same "ostrich syndrome" that I do. She just says the doctor is wrong and she doesn't have lupus because she doesn't want to have lupus. She takes asperin for the pain and stays away from the doctor as much as possible.

So how does all this help you? It probably doesn't. (I'm sorry.) But because you are relatively new I am hoping that these new symptoms are just another manifestation of celiac and you will get better soon. In the meantime, try to stay busy. Read, watch a funny movie, look at cat videos on Youtube. Take a walk, take a drive, call a long distance friend you haven't talked to in a while. Tomorrow is soon enough to start worrying and before you know it the MRI will be over with and you'll have the results. Here's hoping and praying that the results will be good.

(((((HUGS)))))

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

Hi Looking and big (((((hugs))))) to you.

I would like some of Barties ostrich syndrome as I do tend to not deal well with new symptoms myself. I can handle it for a bit but after a few weeks I start googling and panicking. I'm also a very emotional person and can't hide my fears no matter how hard I try.

I'm not sure what you are being tested for tomorrow but I hope for you that your MRI goes well and that the results are not what you are worried about.

Have you had full thyroid testing? I ask because when mine has been out of whack my anxiety gets really bad...like what you're describing. Just a thought.

Please let us know how it goes...will be thinking of you and hoping for the best.

January 2014-Celiac

August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."

Bob Marley

Join eNewsletter

Thank you Bartfull and Icelandgirl. I am getting ready to go to see a doctor and i am already an emotional wreck trying to hide it as much in a front of my family. 

So, i read my horoscope, which I never do, hoping I will get something positive. It said "An unexpected twist of fate might be a wake-up call from your future, reminding you to keep everything in proper perspective. When life hands you lemonade, you should be grateful and drink it." I cannot say that i believe in horoscope but i really did not need to read this today. Even tv shows and fb posts were related to my fears. Have to go now... thank you for thinking and praying for me.

Join eNewsletter

Dear Eloise,

thank you so much! You are super sweet and your kindness and maturity really impress me. I feel ashamed to be complaining so much when I see you being so brave. And yes, I am also a girl =) but much older than you.I guess I should consider myself a grown up =). I think you are one of the bravest people. I truly hope and pray that everything works out for the best for you as well. A prayer that you have already said for me means more than you think, so please don't create work for your sister to light a candle for me. I would rather have her light an extra one for you. Every time I read any of your posts, I say a prayer for you. You are so good at writing to people and encouraging us. Your parents have an amazing kid =). Sorry for not responding to your bucket list, but I also think it is great and with your attitude and strength, I believe you can achieve anything you set your mind to. I trust in your doctors and I really hope everything will work out. You have a lot of friends here now praying for you, including your new friend :). Hugs

Update:

I went to see a dr./ a neurologist. Did some basic tests but an MRI machine was out of service so i have to see when I can get it done this week. I am doing better, just need to get it out of my  mind as much as possible. I walked back from the dr.'s office to clear my mind. Sorry for freaking out but you all helped more than you know. As most of you know, we try to protect our families and friends from our worries but we need someone to talk to especially someone who has faced similar struggles.

Thank you again.

Join eNewsletter

Hi Looking,

I hope that you are able to get the MRI done this week to get some answers. I find that walking is one of the best things for my mind as well. Please don't apologize for freaking out. Let it all out here. We are here to listen and support you! (((Hugs)))

January 2014-Celiac

August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."

Bob Marley

Join eNewsletter