Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

plumbago

Iso: Key Lime Pie Recipe For celiac disease **and** Diabetics

Rate this topic

The best food in the world is without a doubt key lime pie.

And yes, I am asking the impossible.

I have made gluten-free KLP before. The crust is so so, not near as good as the wheat flour variety (yes, I remember).

I'd like to make this wonder food so that I can share it with a friend who has diabetes. 

So suggestions for gluten-free diabetes-friendly key lime pie would be much appreciated. It goes without saying that I will be using key limes.

Thanks!

Plumbago

Diagnosed with Celiac in 2010. Diagnosed with sleep apnea 2018.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Oh my granny makies the besst key lime pie she's diabeticc and coelliac too.im in children's hosspital right now but when I'm all better I promiss I'll assk her for the recepee and I'll send itt to you.i think I will be here for a while though.

Hop someone elss can hellp itts so yummy issnt it.

Eloise

Wow, if ever a reply was made to order, yours is it! I can wait. Thanks!

EDIT: And best wishes with your recovery.

Edited by plumbago

Join eNewsletter

You should go to Pinterest and join if you have not. Then put in a search for Gluten Free Key Lime Pie. Also list diabetic. Several should pop up, then you can check them out and pick one. There are so many good recipe links here.

Thanks. I try to avoid social media (I think!) so unless I get really desperate, I don't think I'll join. But I appreciate knowing that.

What I've thought about doing is using evaporated milk (instead of sweetened condensed milk) and a tiny amount of sugar. I can add a likewise reduced amount of sugar to the heavy cream for the topping (whipped). I'm googgling the two types of milk now, and they may actually not be interchangeable, so I'll need to read more. The final trick after that will be the crust. There are plenty of gluten-free crusts but as most of us know, for bread products, sugar is often increased to disguise the fact that it doesn't taste as good (in my opinion!).

Join eNewsletter

Thanks. I try to avoid social media (I think!) so unless I get really desperate, I don't think I'll join. But I appreciate knowing that.

What I've thought about doing is using evaporated milk (instead of sweetened condensed milk) and a tiny amount of sugar. I can add a likewise reduced amount of sugar to the heavy cream for the topping (whipped). I'm googgling the two types of milk now, and they may actually not be interchangeable, so I'll need to read more. The final trick after that will be the crust. There are plenty of gluten-free crusts but as most of us know, for bread products, sugar is often increased to disguise the fact that it doesn't taste as good (in my opinion!).

Pinterest is less scary than other social media sites. You should be able to use it just fine and click through to the original page it links to, without signing up.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter