Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

ktbuggrl

celiac disease Friendly Pain Meds?

Rate this topic

Hello Celiac friends, I could please use some advice. My father was diagnosed with celiac disease a few years ago and has been getting used to the diet. He just had a knee replacement a week ago in hopes of relieving chronic lower back pain. His knee is heeling well, but laying in bed for a week had wrecked his back. In addition his stomach is really upset. Even though hydrocodone is technically gluten-free, can it still set off celiac disease? Do you have any celiac disease friendly pain relieving remedies? And any suggestions for helping calm his tummy down since he's unable to move around and get the gas out. Can surgery and anesthesia also set off celiac disease? He's pretty miserable folks and is still learning about celiac disease. I really appreciate any advice you can give!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Look up side effects of hydrocodone. Constipation is a common one for everyone, even non- Celiacs. That can lead to trapped gas.

When you say he has been gluten-free for a " few years" and is " getting used to the diet" - what do you mean? Are you saying he has not been gluten-free? Or inconsistently gluten-free? Because if that is the case, he may not have been able to heal and still has active Celiac issues that have nothing to do with surgery or pain meds.

Join eNewsletter