Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

maximoo

Oh Happy Day, gluten-free Honey Nut Cheerios!

Rate this topic

Honey nut Cheerios now says gluten free on the front of the box! My kids had to stop eating it yrs ago when they tested positive. And now they are able to eat it again!

I always wondered since this is an oat cereal why it wouldn't be gluten-free, but I think cross contamination was the issue.

Thank you General Mills for stepping up and certifying that this favorite cereal is now gluten-free!!

Happy days are here again....

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've been eating them with no issues however, I wanted to bring to your attention some 'conversations' that have been happening in the Celiac world that they may not be consistently gluten free.   General Mills developed a process to take regular oats (not certified gluten free from the farm) and remove the traces of gluten in it to make their product.   Some are saying that one box could be gluten free within the 20 ppm limits and another may not as their testing loads boxes together and takes a mean sample.   I don't know how true this is and General Mills is addressing those concerns as well.. Just want to let you know that in case you have issues.    I don't as I said, I've been eating them a few weeks now with nothing so I'm not sure I believe the hype of the concerns being voiced.   

I love Cheerios!!   :) 

*Judy
Food allergies to fish, seafood, tree nuts, aspartame(Equal),flax seed, and many drugs RE-TESTED ALL FOOD ALLERGIES IN JUNE 2015 AND THEY ARE ALL NEGATIVE NOW!  TIME TO RE-INTRODUCE FISH AND NUTS!!! 
Stomach issues since childhood
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) age 6-44
Diabetes age 44 to present now going back to Hypoglycemia since gluten free.
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2005 and it's gone now that I'm aspartame and gluten free. c
Celiac disease- negative test in 2009, positive tests in Nov. 2010
Gluten free started 11/08/2010
Genetic tests positive- DQ2, positive -DQ6 (?) negative- DQ8 11/15/2010 

Hyperthyroid 2013 - benign tumors and entire thyroid removed

Join eNewsletter

I've been working my way through a box of regular Cheerios (my favorite) and I've had some vague symptoms that could be CC or could be "I'm eating more greens and grains than before." (I told you they were vague.) They're symptoms I get from CC for sure, but more of "someone touched a tortilla before touching my chicken, but there were no crumbs" level.

I'm going to see how I feel as I make my way through the box. Regardless, I hope they figure out a safer way to do things and use some certified oats. I never have a problem with certified oats.

Join eNewsletter

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

I feel they are safe to eat for me.  I have been eating them for breakfast lately, and was screaming jumping up and down when I first found them at a store with the gluten-free logo on them.  Just like anything else, they are not going to be for everybody.  Not all Celiacs can tolerate oats, and if you aren't used to eating a lot of oats and high fiber foods, you may have some discomfort if you go and eat a whole bunch, just like you would get discomfort after eating a bunch of beans if you weren't used to it. 

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

I ate them today!!! I eat them for breakfast with milk and when I was little they used to be one of my favorite snacks.  I would melt a tablespoon of butter in a pan and add honey nut cheerios.  Buttered honey nut cheerios!! Yum!!

Positive DGP IgG & DGP IgA, negative biopsy, HLA typing unable to interpret, sicca syndrome, positive ANA, low WBC count, intolerant to peanuts, eggs, dairy, IBS-C, GERD.

Join eNewsletter