Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Maddi

Anyone Suffer From Neurological Symptoms?

Rate this topic

You guys... this really means a lot to me. I usually eat a banana a day, if not half. But I will definitely eat at least one a day now! I knew bananas were good but didn't know they we that good for the digestive system. And I'm juicing carrots, an apple, and celery in the mornings. At least that way I'll get nutrients somehow especially since now I have Epstein's Barr. /: I was complaining about my night vision and I started jucing carrots 4 days ago and I can see so much better at night!!!!! Honestly if someone told me that I wouldn't believe them! And my gastro a while back told me about pureeing my food if I was really worried about my weightloss. That way it'll be easy to digest. I might do that until I get rid of this virus. Apparently my neuro symptoms could be related to the Epstein's Barr virus! Hopefully I can kick this virus' butt quickly!

Sounds like you are on the right path, Maddi, and taking control. I predict that you are going to be feeling better very soon and gaining weight too. :)

Hey, I actually have some answers for some of you. My son has Celiac, horrible pain, muscle spasams and twitches like crazy, went through 14 crazy doctor years with him and it took that one neurologist who said, of course he's a mess, more than 60% of people with Celiac disease have small fiber neuropathy. His nerve/skin biopsy came back positive. Celiac and neuropathy DO go together. This doctor told me if you have Celiac, it's not Fibromyalgia, it's this form of neuropathy. Years ago, he had a colonic manometry which showed the nerves were not functioning in his colon, so it eventually was removed. No one tried to figure out why. All this is rare in pediatrics. How rare? We didn't know he had Celiac until he dermatitis herpetiformis showed up. Pediatric derm never treated it before, gave him methemaglobinemia. Switched his meds then tore up what was left of his gastro system. Switched hospitals for derm and told her creams only. I had enough.

So after it all, my son has Vit D deficiency, iron deficiency, Celiac, DH, asthma, GERD, Small Fiber Neuropathy, recently positive for autonomic dysfunction (autonomic Neuropathy), Hashimoto's disease, POTS, sleep apnea, PTSD (not sure why, dorks!), throw in a little anxiety problems. All found positive in tests. Now with the gastro issues, my son has had more scopes than an average 80 yr old. He didn't come up positive with Celiac until almost 3 years ago. That was around 10 years with negative results. Now he's so extremely sensitive he breaks out with the blisters.

I discovered I had a gluten intolerance (sensitivity?) after suffering neurological symptoms, mainly tingling of my extremities and finally my face.  (I'm 66 years old.) With the help of a naturopathic doctor, three months off gluten and all symptoms disappeared.  My GI doc wanted to biopsy for celiac disease, so I went back on gluten for 3 months.  All my symptoms returned, but the biopsy was negative.  I hadn't had any digestive issues, so I was sure the test would be negative.  I had already been off dairy for a year due to respiratory symptoms.  Now, nearly 2 years later I continue to do well--but have developed GERD symptoms that are primarily shortness of breath--not heartburn!  Just saw some of these issues in these postings, so thought I'd put in my 2 cents!  I certainly feel fortunate to have such a mild problem compared to everyone here!

MomBTired: Wow your son seems to have a lot of issues which who knows if they were caused by a delayed diagnosis! /: That's what I'm afraid of. My problems have gotten worse. They started to be gastrointestinal and now they're neurological. I now have a virus which I know is bc of my low immune system. Hopefully your son now is doing better. I plan on seeing a new gastro and after I get over this virus I might try the gluten challenge again. My dad is going tomorrow to get tested. I'm also going to encourage my grandmother to get tested (she has hypothyroid and "ibs"). You've given me hope that I'll eventually get a diagnosis after 2 1/2 years. Thanks so much. It helps me to know I'm not the only one who has struggled to get a diagnosis.

Lol: Thanks for your response. I guess it's something to think about since glutem intolerance has a lot of the same symptoms as Celiac. Unfortunately my symptoms are are over the place and honestly I really think it's Celiac only bc of my weight loss and pretty bad immune system. Last year I got so many infections and now I have Epstein's Barr. /: I'm glad your symptoms disappeared and I hope with time mine do too with a strict gluten-free diet. (: