Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

jbindio

After Switching To A Gluten Free Diet, How Long Can Symptoms Last?

Rate this topic

My 11 year old daughter recently recieved the diagnosis of "can't with 100% certainty she has celiacs and can't say with 100% certainty say she doesn't." This was after all the blood testing, the endoscopy and colonoscopy. There was some damage to the villi which brought the gastroenteroloigist to this conclusion. I've now had my daughter on a gluten free diet for a week, but she is still experiencing abdominal cramping and frequent trips to the restroom.

How long can these symptoms last after going gluten free? Are there suggestions for helping ease the pain and symptoms?

I'm new to the group and appreciate the help.

JB.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Kids can spring back pretty fast, but adults can take much longer. Usually it takes six months or years to feel better. But your daughter should see some results in a few weeks. Please read the "newbie 101" section found under the coping section of this forum. It contains valuable tips as the gluten-free diet has a steep learning curve. My advice is to research all that you can to avoid hidden gluten and cross contamination. Avoid going out to dinner until you see some improvement is helpful. Remember, each gluten exposure can set her back a week or more!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Kids can spring back pretty fast, but adults can take much longer. Usually it takes six months or years to feel better. But your daughter should see some results in a few weeks. Please read the "newbie 101" section found under the coping section of this forum. It contains valuable tips as the gluten-free diet has a steep learning curve. My advice is to research all that you can to avoid hidden gluten and cross contamination. Avoid going out to dinner until you see some improvement is helpful. Remember, each gluten exposure can set her back a week or more!

Thank you cyclinglady! But, I could not find the newbie 101 section.

Join eNewsletter

I had a temporary dairy intolerance which meant that even a few weeks after DX and going gluten-free milk went 'straight through me' and I had stomach pains and D.  

During those early days I still found small quantities of hard cheese tolerable though and tried to get my calcium through other sources.  Now my villi are healed - well I believe they must be nearly there after 2 1/2 years -  I can drink milk again but occasionally find that if I drink too much I need to give it a rest for a few days, as I will get mild abdominal pain again.

As dairy products are an important source of calcium for children if you decide to go down this route I think it would be good to consult with your doctor/nutritionalist.

Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

BRITISH

Join eNewsletter