Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

squirmingitch

Perdue gluten-free Breaded Chicken Breast Tenders - Possible Cc?

Rate this topic

Does anyone eat this product regularly? Recently?

http://www.perdue.com/products/PERDUE-SIMPLY-SMART-Gluten-Free-Breaded-Chicken-Breast-Tenders-18-oz/80589/

I've been cc'd somewhere & I'm trying to nail it down as to what product it was. We have a gluten-free household since my hubs is celiac also. We never eat out. We recently added this product to what we eat. At the same time, we added Udi's bread and Wild Riceworks Sea Salt & Black Sesame rice snack gluten free

http://www.riceworks.com/sea-salt-black-sesame

http://www.riceworks.com/gluten-free

I suspect the Perdue over the others because I feel if it were the Udi's bread others would have been reporting glutenings by now. As for the Wild Riceworks; I haven't eaten that in a while. Last week we had the Perdue twice & I'm having a reaction to something.

I have the dh rash so it's not just GI issues that are telling me I've been glutened. BUT I also learned a few months ago that I am one of those 8% who has a real reaction to even certified gluten-free oats so the possibility of cc from those oats has to be considered. 

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

i had no issues with the perdue tenders (just the leap of faith lolz <they sat in my freezer for a month before i got enough nerve to try them) and i was pleasantly surprised at how yummy they were.  and easy, and i don't have to cook all of them at once, so good for when hubs is out of town and it's just (lazy) me :)  i hope you didn't have a reaction to them!  i was just putting them on the list of things that i can eat when i'm away from home without fooling with.....   :/  feel better, squirmy !

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Thanks Arlene. Well, next time you have them I can tell you a nifty thing to do with them. It's sort of a twist on Chicken Cordon Bleu. Cook the tenders, then wrap them in deli ham & then wrap in swiss cheese, put back in the oven or toaster oven & bake a few minutes until everything's hot & cheese is melted.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Join eNewsletter

that does sound yumz ! :)  i've been venturing into 'packaged food world' very cautiously (as i'm eating my snack pack pudding!  i know, i know, i can make chocolate pudding from scratch....... <_<   i just wanted a little bit, though, not enough to make a whole recipe of it)  like you, i am TRYING to avoid the soy, so i was happy that the chicken didn't contain much - listed as 'less than 2%' soybean oil.  i'm pretty mad about french fries - what about JUST POTATOES !  and tater tots almost always have soy....  i tried the gluten-free freshetta pizza, didn't sit well, chucked the rest.  (no gluten reaction, my guts are just picky, picky) i have a california pizza kitchen frozen pizza in the freezer and i'm going to try that next.  our local kroger has expanded it's 'freak' food section (and moved everything around so i can't find a thing!) as they are preparing to sell WINE, so i will always have a plan B for dinner.  or should i say, plan W hahaha   :P  ;)

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

Join eNewsletter

yesss, indeedy!  i want to say i saw bbq chicken and margarita flavors.  i may have picked up the bbq chicken by accident but i'm gonna eat it anyway!  :D  (not my favorite......)

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

Join eNewsletter

that does sound yumz ! :)  i've been venturing into 'packaged food world' very cautiously (as i'm eating my snack pack pudding!  i know, i know, i can make chocolate pudding from scratch....... <_<   i just wanted a little bit, though, not enough to make a whole recipe of it)  like you, i am TRYING to avoid the soy, so i was happy that the chicken didn't contain much - listed as 'less than 2%' soybean oil.  i'm pretty mad about french fries - what about JUST POTATOES !  and tater tots almost always have soy....  i tried the gluten-free freshetta pizza, didn't sit well, chucked the rest.  (no gluten reaction, my guts are just picky, picky) i have a california pizza kitchen frozen pizza in the freezer and i'm going to try that next.  our local kroger has expanded it's 'freak' food section (and moved everything around so i can't find a thing!) as they are preparing to sell WINE, so i will always have a plan B for dinner.  or should i say, plan W hahaha   :P  ;)

We do the snack packs of pudding too. These days we don't eat enough of it to make it ourselves. Used to be we would make a package & wipe the whole thing out in 1 sitting but not anymore.

Does your store carry Against The Grain frozen pizza? No soy oil -- no soy at all. We LOVE it! Oh, wine? What's that? i'll have to try that sometime.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Join eNewsletter

I have tried the Perdue chicken tenders and while I can't say that I eat them regularly, they don't seem to affect me.

I don't eat Udi's (don't like the taste of some of the products and I think that I react to some of the other ingredients in their product line).

I looked up the Rice Works chips and while the ingredients seem to be gluten free, other people on this forum seem to have had reactions to these chips. Could the company have changed the recipe since you last ate them?

Join eNewsletter

I called Udi's this morning. They of course have products containing cert. gluten-free oats such as cookies, granola bars etc... Because oats are not one of the top 8 allergens they do not clean the lines between runs of oat containing products and those not containing oats. So the lady I spoke to told me there is the possibility of cross contamination with cert. gluten-free oats.

Perdue says they have to get back to me after they get information from their research department. They did say they test every run & gluten-free products are made as the first runs of every day then the gluten products are made. 3rd shift cleans everything including air filters. She did not know the testing method they use nor if they have any products containing oats.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Join eNewsletter

I have tried the Perdue chicken tenders and while I can't say that I eat them regularly, they don't seem to affect me.

I don't eat Udi's (don't like the taste of some of the products and I think that I react to some of the other ingredients in their product line).

I looked up the Rice Works chips and while the ingredients seem to be gluten free, other people on this forum seem to have had reactions to these chips. Could the company have changed the recipe since you last ate them?

I'm sorry, I didn't see your post earlier when I posted. I don't think it's the Riceworks mainly because I had not eaten them in a couple weeks.

I am realizing now that it's more a problem with the oats reaction ie: oat cc. So I'm going to be on a learning journey again on how to protect myself only this time there are not the same rules as dealing with plain gluten as in celiac gluten. It's almost like the tables have been turned on me. Anything made in a completely gluten free facility is more suspect now than regular foods that are gluten-free such as Lay's original potato chips. I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Brain fog is interfering.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Join eNewsletter