Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Elle4916

Starkist Mexican Tuna Pouch?

Rate this topic

Hi, 

I am new to these boards. I'm a newly self-diagnosed Celiac, and can't get tested because the gluten challenge hurts too much. 

For lunch today I ate a Starkist Gourmet Creations Mexican Tuna Pouch and I am feeling like I've had gluten. I feel so foggy headed I can barely hold a conversation, very full, and I'm starting to feel the dreaded cramping that I get when I'm glutened :( . I called the company and the person didn't  know if it had gluten. She said she would get back to me once she knew for sure, but I'm wondering if anyone else knows if this product is gluten-free? It has "vinegar" and "natural flavors" listed on the pouch, so I think it's possible it either has gluten in it or was prone to CC. I could just kick myself for eating it without being sure. 

Thanks everyone.

Elle 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't know the ingredients but "natural flavors " and vinegar do not contain gluten.   Because you haven't been tested, maybe it something besides gluten or in addition to gluten?  Can you eat the plain tuna by the same company? 

Join eNewsletter

If it were malt vinegar it would say so on the label. And "natural flavoring" would most likely not be barley or rye. (Anything wheat must be labeled by law). Odds are you are like most of us - when we first go gluten-free we feel great for a few weeks, then we backslide into feeling crummy for a while. Just about any food can set us off, even if it doesn't contain gluten because our guts are still inflamed.

Try to stick to simple whole foods at first. Processed stuff has so many ingredients and in some cases, chemicals. Those things are hard on a healthy gut, let alone someone with damaged guts.

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

The ingredients in that product are:

Ingredients: Light Meat Tuna, Jalapeno Peppers, Sunflower Oil, Red Bell Peppers, Vinegar, Water, Salt, Sugar, Maltose, Natural Flavors.

I would suspect the Jalapeno peppers. I can't imagine a damaged gut handling jalapeno's too well.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

If your future father in law used a knife to spread cream cheese on his bagel and you used it, it could have been cross contamination (especially if he does not eat  gluten free).

I also notice that the product included both jalapenos and red peppers which are members of the nightshade family. Can you eat peppers, potatoes, tomatoes. etc?

Join eNewsletter