Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

MissyBB

Ms Gluten Connection

Rate this topic

I'm curious, how many people here are also diagnosed with MS? And, if so, did your symptoms improve with gluten elimination? What about when you accidentally get glutened - do the symptoms get worse?

I'm asking because right before I went gluten-free I had optic neuritis. I just got glutened ( about a week ago) and had back pain, really bad, despite treatment, since then. Also have had radiating arm pain and numbness.

Curious about others experiences.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

~Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher (1788 – 1860)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have a cousin with MS who is gluten-free because he finds it helps, although he does not test positive for celiac disease.

Gluten ataxia can be misdiagnosed as MS. Beyond that, I'm afraid that I don't know much.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Gluten and the top 8 allergens are the more complex protein chains for the body to break down and digest.  If the body is already stressed, these foods are possibly just adding more stress to the system.

It is not fully understood why a gluten free diet is helping many individuals with auto immune diseases (even some mental disorders).

Michigan

Join eNewsletter