BarryC

Beer Belly-is it also gluten belly?

Rate this topic

I love beer and its the only gluten containing food I cant eliminate. What guy can give up beer on a hot summer night? I switched to Miller Lite, which supposedly has been tested to have a very low level of gluten. After three months gluten free except for that, I still have a beer belly and trouble losing weight. Just got back from a winery tour vacation  and for a full week not one beer. Low and behold, even after pigging out every day, no exercise, and lots of wine, only gained two pounds, pants still fit.

Two questions:

1. Is very low gluten beer OK, or is it best to switch to actual gluten free like Bard's?

2. You don't see many wine drinkers with beer bellies. Since I am very active and dont eat much, can a beer belly be from the gluten as well as the calories and carbs?

Very low gluten beer is NOT okay!!!!!! Why don't you just eat 1 saltine a day?

Switch to a true gluten free beer.

Barry,

Not to offend you, but this is a celiac website!  We NEVER endorse eating gluten in any form.  Some of us are formally diagnosed and others are not.  But what we have in common is that we know gluten makes us sick.  It is an ALL or NOTHING commitment. 

Yes, gluten can cause bloating but so can broccoli or beans.  I have seen plenty of overweight people and they never drink!!!!  Those that partake in wine are just as heavy as those that drink beer.  Exercise is great for your health (I love it) but it is what you consume and how your body metabolizes that food that makes you thin or fat.  That's just the reality of it. 

A gluten free diet is not a weight reduction diet.  I encourage you to do some further research on the subject and make sure you are reading credible sources. 

Thanks lady. I suspect I may actually be celiac since I recently discovered it is in my family, but I am going gluten free instead of getting tested. I am just starting to grapple with the truth that I cant have ANY gluten, even low gluten. BTW beans, etc. don't bloat me at all. Speaking of credible sources, I am starting to think that wheat belly doctor William Davis is NOT ONE! Any other sources you guys can recommend are appreciated!

The best source of celiac and gluten-free diet information is the University of Chicago Celiac Center, and this forum. That's no joke - several of our members were referred to this site by their doctors. Start with the Newbie 101 thread in the coping section here. Then read as many threads as you can. And of course, ask us lots of questions. We're here to help. :)

Barry,

You have been on this site for over a year and yet you still knowingly consume gluten.  I urge you to get tested for celiac disease to determine if you really need to be on a gluten free diet.  So many of your posts concern your inability to lose weight.  A gluten free diet is not the ticket for weight loss.    You also said last year that your doctor is not supportive and is not willing to test you for celiac disease.  Perhaps it is time to find another doctor.  I think you might need a diagnosis so that you will adhere to the gluten free diet (if you need it). 

Barty is right about the University of Chicago.  You can go to your library too and pick up books about celiac disease. 

I wish you well!