Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

CeliacMommaX2

Visiting family

Rate this topic

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this...

We are traveling to visit family and plan to bring a lot of our own things (jar of PB, jelly, pan & spatula to cook with, gluten-free snacks, etc). 

Is it okay to use basic plates/cups/silverware in this gluten-rich household?  Should we bring our own of that too?  I want to make sure I keep my kiddos healthy. 

Thank you!

Mom to 2 young kids with celiac, diagnosed March 2015

*Gluten free household

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

We find a cutting board important too.  We also travel with a small kid type plate (non-breakable) for each of us and find a fork for each of us is helpful.  We travelled a lot this summer and really missed having non-disposable forks!  I also travel with cleaning stuff, including a couple of dish towels and dish cloths.

My super silly red siren is my guiding light. She has been a tremendous lesson for me in how gluten affects different people in very different ways. She is a super duper silly girl that was simply born that way. I have no idea why I am so blessed to have her guidance.

Join eNewsletter

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this...

We are traveling to visit family and plan to bring a lot of our own things (jar of PB, jelly, pan & spatula to cook with, gluten-free snacks, etc). 

Is it okay to use basic plates/cups/silverware in this gluten-rich household?  Should we bring our own of that too?  I want to make sure I keep my kiddos healthy. 

Thank you!

It is absolutely safe to use their plates and silverware and glasses as I assume they do clean them?  I apologize if that sounded snarky but this is an issue that comes up often and your question is a good one...it's the answers that follow that aren't always correct.

I have been a diagnosed, very sensitive Celiac for over 10 years now and have never once become ill from using someone else's clean dinnerware. I become sick and symptomatic if I ingest crumbs, if that helps you gauge my sensitivity level.  Dishwashers are safe, as are dishwasher liquids.  They are extremely well rinsed by the dishwasher so no need to worry about that. That is assuming the dishes are rinsed before loading the machine. 

Dishcloths to dry your washed dishes will not come into contact with gluten as the dishes have just been washed.  I have a gluten-free household as it is just my husband and myself and he eats gluten free as he feels better doing so, so I cannot comment on a sponge used for washing gluten dishes, other than to say they are rinsed well in hot water.  That might be something you have to decide for yourself.

Sorry if this seems like a simplistic explanation but I don't think many people understand cc and I hate to see someone become overly cautious when they do not have to be. If your family understands the basics of cc, you should have no problem visiting successfully.  Hope you all have a good time!

Join eNewsletter