Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

BarryC

Gluten and the thyroid and pancreas

Rate this topic

Has anybody noticed that gluten affected the function of their thyroid gland, resulting in a slowed metabolism and weight gain or inability to lose weight, and/or their pancreas, affecting insulin levels, which also make it hard to lose weight? If so, were these glands able to recover and get back to normal after being gluten free, and how long did this take? Thanks

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Gluten destroyed my thyroid because it triggered Hashimoto's.  I'll never have normal thyroid levels without T3+T4 supplementation.

I have a friend whose Islet cells were destroyed by gluten.  He is now diabetic and has to take insulin.

The problem is that most people proceed to destruction because American doctors never look for autoimmune disorders until it is too late.

Join eNewsletter

Hashimoto's thyroiditis and type 1 diabetes are the autoimmune diseases most commonly co-occurring with celiac disease.  

I have hypothyroidism; my thyroid barely works.

I also have prediabetes, so I make too much insulin and would often have some large blood sugar spikes.  I've fixed that problem by eating a low carb high fat diet.  If I don't eat the carbs, my glucose and insulin won't swing, I doubt this condition was related to my celiac disease though.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

I will also add that switching to a LCHF diet reduced my appetite and cravings for carbs, and I've lost about 30-35 lbs in 3 months, without much effort even though I am now at a normal BMI.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

I believe that gluten contributed to my Graves Disease.  No chance for my thyroid to recover as I no longer have one.  They destroyed it with RadioActive Iodine therapy.  I will need to take levothyroxine tablets for the rest of my life.  I didn't have the strength to argue with the doctors as the Graves Disease made me so sick I just couldn't tolerate it any longer.

The Graves seems to be well-controlled now.

Join eNewsletter