Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Victor10

Anxiety?

Rate this topic

Okay so after being glutened I was scared to eat anything thinking it would make me worse. So the past few days I've hardly been eating. I don't think I even ate protein at all. 

I have stomach cramps but I believe it's just my stomach being empty and wanting food.

I feel abit weak, and been lightheaded here and there. Also feel like I'm having anxiety. Like as of I'm jittery and my heart rate is up.

I've never had any of these before and im wondering if my diet or lack of key protiens and vitamins is making me feel weak and malnourished, causing anxiety also maybe because of deficiency and low blood sugar. 

EDIT: I just ate a big plate of rice, beans and chicken thighs. I'm feeling alot better. Lightheadedness seems to have resolved and my heart rate is calming. I seriously think I was malnourished. I need to get some blood done and see if I need anything. Like vitamins and stuff.

Edited by Victor10

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Glad you are feeling better.

I doubt your symptoms were from malnourishment, but rather from a possible few sources:

Perhaps you were not eating enough for a few days (especially carbs), and your body switched to ketosis (fat oxidation).  Unless you up your electrolytes (sodium, magnesium and potassium), lowering your carb intake will result in wtaer lost along with electrolytes.  This can cause weakness, headaches, shakiness, fatigue and even heart palpitations. It takes a few days for the body to get used to not relying on glucose (carbohydrates - veggies, fruit, baked goods, etc) for fuel.

Or you could have been experiencing gluten withdrawal (or as well) if you are new to eating gluten-free. A minority of people feel quite horrible when first removing gluten from their diet.  It lasts a few days to a few weeks.

Getting vitamin levels checked is a good idea for most celiacs.  The common low nutrients are calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc, copper, ferritin, iron, B12, D, A and.... I think I'm forgetting one. Hmm. Anyway, those ones are good to have checked.

Feel better.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter