This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cd And Hair Loss

mandigirl1

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

Hello! :)

Please.....Can anyone help me here? I am a 32 y/o female, diagnosed with celiac disease 7 years ago. To the best of my knowledge I am completely gluten-free. Ive had celiac disease attacks in the past. Heres the problem......I always had big, thick, coarse, curly/wavy hair. Now, in the past year, my hair is thinning and falling out. Its highly noticeable when I wear it straight. OK, heres the catch-- I use a flatiron to straighten it so this may be causing it. Very hot, hot, heat irons out the hair, however I do use alot of protectant gels/sprays (Yes- wheat free)

I suspect it is celiac disease related though. My hair is more coarse, frizzy and curlier than ever before! I used to have straightening (with chemicals) treatments in salons. My hair got very damaged. Even then, my hair didnt actually thin/fall out. Now, you can actually see my scalp, like lines on a map. For the past 3 years, I have been letting it grow out. The pattern showing the scalp is worsening each week.

Does any other female experience hair loss and suspect celiac disease?

Can anyone offer advice on what to do????

Does anyone know how to make hair grow back in missing spots? My dermatologist suggested Rogaine for women but I havent exactly running to my drugstore to buy it.

I appreciate any and all help!!!!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Hi Mandigirl!

I also have consistent hair loss. Thank God I have incredibly thick hair because every time I am in the shower and am rinsing out my hair, it just comes out right in my fingers. I have to clean the drain out after every shower.

One thing to keep in mind though. I have always attributed my hair loss to my thyroid problems. Hypothyroidism causes hair loss. Have you had your thyroid checked?

Karen

bknutson Apprentice

I can relate though I do not have thick hair. I already have thing fine hair. And I already had hypothyroidism. so I was loosing bits of hair before but now, o my, now I am losing tons of hair. I am really afraid I will be bald.

What do we do???

Nadtorious Rookie

If your hair loss is because of celiac disease, it could be a couple of things. If you have contamination in your diet, your body may not be absorbing the nutrients it needs. Also, are you eating enough protein? If you are sick a lot, it causes stress on the body which can lead to hair loss. Another suggestion is eating foods high in Omega-3 fatty acids, which are excellent for skin and hair.

My hair was falling out in chunks before I was diagnosed and would never grow. Now its down to the middle of my back and is the thickest and shiniest its ever been. Stick in there-you may just be overlooking something!

Nadia

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm a bit older than you, mandigirl, but I also had a problem w/ hairloss. Not a problem until about 2 years ago when my celiac disease kicked in and I was very sick. At that time, I also was having my hair straightened w/ chemicals at a salon. I still do not know for sure what caused the hair loss--which was dramatic, hair between my fingers coming out in the shower--the celiac disease or the chemicals. I know that the last time I had it straightened, the stylist was doing a touch-up and got solution directly on my scalp (supposed to keep it 1/4 in. away) and that may have been it. That was the last time I had my hair straightened. Anyway, I had it cut to give the bald spots a chance to grow in and now, a year and a half later, my hair is growing back, and is healthy and shiny.

bluelotus Contributor

There have been lots of post on hair loss in women and celiac disease, check the "related diseases and research" forum (i think that is the name)...not feeling very good at the moment, or I would go into more detail for you. i am 24 and have been losing my hair for 4 years, though not too noticeable. the hair loss started before the celiac disease diagnosis. i had seen dermatologists for it (b/c I didn't know about celiac disease) and they all threw up their hands, not knowing what to do. i recently saw a derm again (a new one) and he said it is caused by TE (search those old forums for the exact name) - basically the hair cycle is interupted by a lack of nutrients and hormonal problems. also, the stress on your body caused by celiac disease can contribute to the hair loss too. get your gluten under control, and it should improve (easier said then done since i have been exposed to gluten unknowingly for months and was feeling ill, could not figure out what it was - turns out it was hidden gluten in my hairspray, strawberry jam, and spagetti sauce.....not cool).

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I second Karen's suggestion about having the thyroid checked. When my hair falls out its usually my thyroid. Thyroid problems are common with celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

Thanks guys......I'll look into the thyroid thing. I used to think I had a problem w thyroid but had it checked maybe 3 years ago, it was fine. Does your lymph nodes under your neck ("adam apple") pulsate? Mine always feel enlarged!!!!! always!!!!!

what the hell is THAT? Does this have anything to do with thyroid???

I'll call my doc and get it checked.

My diet has not been healthy at all. Since Im a 4th grade teacher and always out the door in a rush, and very, very busy at my school, I dont make time for eating "meals". For example, yesterday at 7 AM on my way to school, I had a bag of peanut m & m's and Reeses peanut butter cups (Im horribly addicted). Then lunchtime I had 2/3 chocolate rice cakes with peanut butter on it. Then baked ranch doritos (so delish!!). A few hours later I was ravenous. Since theres nothing easy as a Celiac to "grab" or prepare, I go for the chocolate/junk food. I went on that evening to down 2 more bags peanut m & ms and a bag of salted roasted peanuts. I wasnt near any good food for me (the diner down the block gets me sick everytime I ate there so I stopped going there).

Is this absurd or what? My finace wanted to go out for dinner, but the thought of eating made me sick. BTW, I had really bad nausea and even tried to bring it up since it felt lodged in my throat, but couldnt vomit. I never do anyway. Yuck!!!! I completely ruined my appetite due to (I guess) a stressful binge episode (which I've had ever since diagnosed w celiac disease 7 yrs ago). So, thats all I had til the next morning, which consisted of chocolate again. I should also mention I drink a large cup of coffee in the morning. Maybe this has an effect.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL of course,

Any feedback or advice on how to treat the hair loss would be great!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and yes! I used to take Omega 3 fish pills everyday, even though it repeated on me for hours.

Billygoat Apprentice

If the thyroid check doesn't show anything conclusive, you might consider your birth control. I'm half Japanese and always had beautiful thick straight hair. SO MUCH of it I had to have it thinned out when I got it cut. Just ridiculous amounts of hair. I went off birth control several years ago and it changed completely. It's not nearly so thick and now it's CURLY! Not pretty ringlet curly, but nappy white-girl curly. Sooo NOT attractive! :blink: I have to straighten it now to make it look like it used to. A girl friend of mine said her straight hair went curly after she had her first child. Hormones have something to do with those type of changes.

mommida Enthusiast

Mandigirl, If you are a "natural" girl, (Not surgically altered) you don't have an adam's apple. Get your enlarged thyroid/goiter tested. There is definately a higher incidence of auto-immune thyroid disease in Celiacs.

Laura

kevsmom Contributor

Mandigirl,

I second Nadtorious' comment about not absorbing nutrients. Before I was diagnosed with Celiac, I had problem with hair loss. I would get out of the shower and the whole front of me would be covered in hair. My doctor believed it was caused by medication that I was taking. He suggesed that I take Zinc and Selinium supplements (found in the vitamin aisle). If you do this, make sure that they are gluten free. This really helped me - No more hairy chest when I get out of the shower. :D

Cindy

aikiducky Apprentice

Just to add to all the good advice... if you're eating like you described very often, never mind not absorbing nutrients - there aren't any nutrients to absorb in your junk food diet!

A piece of fruit is every bit as easy to grab as a bag of m&m's! Really, you need to take your health a bit more seriously, otherwise what is all that rushing about going to be good for?

Pauliina

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Thanks guys......I'll look into the thyroid thing. I used to think I had a problem w thyroid but had it checked maybe 3 years ago, it was fine. Does your lymph nodes under your neck ("adam apple") pulsate? Mine always feel enlarged!!!!! always!!!!!

I agree with the other posters, get that checked soon. To my knowledge (and I may be wrong of course) there are no lymph nodes in the area of the adams apple, they are under the chin and the sides and back of neck.

My diet has not been healthy at all. Since Im a 4th grade teacher and always out the door in a rush, and very, very busy at my school, I dont make time for eating "meals". For example, yesterday at 7 AM on my way to school, I had a bag of peanut m & m's and Reeses peanut butter cups (Im horribly addicted). Then lunchtime I had 2/3 chocolate rice cakes with peanut butter on it. Then baked ranch doritos (so delish!!). A few hours later I was ravenous. Since theres nothing easy as a Celiac to "grab" or prepare, I go for the chocolate/junk food. I went on that evening to down 2 more bags peanut m & ms and a bag of salted roasted peanuts. I wasnt near any good food for me (the diner down the block gets me sick everytime I ate there so I stopped going there).

Is this absurd or what? My finace wanted to go out for dinner, but the thought of eating made me sick. BTW, I had really bad nausea and even tried to bring it up since it felt lodged in my throat, but couldnt vomit. I never do anyway. Yuck!!!! I completely ruined my appetite due to (I guess) a stressful binge episode (which I've had ever since diagnosed w celiac disease 7 yrs ago). So, thats all I had til the next morning, which consisted of chocolate again. I should also mention I drink a large cup of coffee in the morning. Maybe this has an effect.

If one of your students told you that what you ate this day was all his parents fed him you would report those people for child abuse!  Sorry to 'yell' at you but if you do this very often you are really not doing your body any favors. Grab some fruit, keep hard boiled eggs in your frig for a grab and dine,  keep some gluten-free pretzels in your desk along with some raisens or other gluten-free dried fruit. You need to keep yourself in good condition to be able to deal with your job and not feel drained at the end of the day. If you eat better you'll be able to withstand stress better also which may help minimize stress binges.

Also get some good vitamins I use a formula specifically for the hair, skin and nails.  It took about 2 years gluten-free before I really felt I had my hair back but I was able to see new growth within 3 months or so gluten-free. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

Eating fruit makes me sooooo much hungrier!!!!! :(

So has anybody used the Rogaine for women? My derm suggested I try this.

What about the fact that I use a flatiron to straighten my hair? Does anyone think this may be a factor in hair loss?

Also, what kind of tests do I need to have the thyroid/goiter checked?

jerseyangel Proficient

I don't think a flat iron would make your hair fall out. More likely, it could cause it to break off, possibly near the scalp or elswhere. Especially if the hair is very dry from the use of chemical treatments.

katerinvon Rookie

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL of course,

Any feedback or advice on how to treat the hair loss would be great!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and yes! I used to take Omega 3 fish pills everyday, even though it repeated on me for hours.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Enlarged lymph nodes are part of the imune responce. I know this happens with other illnesses, have experieced it with colds and such. An enlarged thyroid, called a goiter, could be a possibility. (I can't remember if this is hyperthyroid or hypothyroid) Usually this is caused by an iodine deficiency. We don't see it much in the US because we mostly use iodized table salt. I'm new to celiac disease, but if thyroid is an issue, it wouldn't hurt to get your levels checked. I'm more likely to susspect enlarged lymph nodes, because of the imune response in celiac disease.

bluelotus Contributor

Open Original Shared Link

Not sure if this will take you to the old discussion, but it was started by Claire and can be found under "coping with" forum a few pages into the lists of topics. Lots of good info there....

• 2 weeks later...
pokerprincess Newbie

Hi Mandi,

my hair falling out was one of the first symptoms

I had when I started getting sick.

It is definitly hormonal and due to malnutrition &

stress. My hair had been long (to my hips) and

silky. Now that I am better it is back again. I

think that sugar also had an effect on it. Of course

I don't eat foods with gluten but if I eat sugar my

hair starts to fall out and I get horrible acne.

Hope this helps!

K

p.s. I just read your last reply about the foods

you eat "on the go." Try and skip sugar. I rarely

sit down and eat a meal so I eat alot of nuts. They

take away that "I am starving feeling."

Archived