Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lnr

Does Everybody Have A Reaction When Eating Gluten?

I was just wondering if everyone with celiac had a response to eating gluten once they have been gluten free for a while. I have been gluten free for about 5 weeks, and started eating gluten again because my blood tests and biopsies were negative, so I thought I'd give it a try. So far so good - but I was wondering if everyone else had immediate reactions, or if it took a while, and if the reactions were all severe. Thanks for your help - sorry if this is a stupid question!

I was just wondering if everyone with celiac had a response to eating gluten once they have been gluten free for a while.  I have been gluten free for about 5 weeks, and started eating gluten again because my blood tests and biopsies were negative, so I thought I'd give it a try.  So far so good - but I was wondering if everyone else had immediate reactions, or if it took a while, and if the reactions were all severe.  Thanks for your help - sorry if this is a stupid question!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I usually feel tired the next day - really excessively tired - and sometimes have a migraine and feel sick with it, but I don't normally get a reaction in terms of stomach pains for two to three days, if that helps. Sometimes I only get the pain reaction two or three days later without the tiredness or headache.

I was in the same boat as you - by bloodtests came back negative because I'd been gluten free for 5 weeks. I'm still waiting to discuss this with my doctor so am still pretty much gluten free, with the odd 'test' to see if I get a reaction.

Some people have no reaction to gluten, but the damage is still being done inside along with the fact--that same damage is making your body more exceptable of other diseases. Some people have immediate reactions to gluten, some get very sick within an hour, some get sick slower, some of us are ill for days--if I get glutened, its over a week before I start feeling better--I was ill for over 3 weeks when I ate 3 tiny ricecake snacks that contained soy/corn, which I also have to be careful with. We are all different and react differently. Deb

I get bad reactions that last a good 2 weeks and I feel it immediately. Some people never get symptoms with it so it varies from person to person.