Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

BarryC

Is this the 'gluten flu' or gluten withdrawel?

Rate this topic

Its been almost four months now gluten free. Didnt see much improvement until the third month, then almost overnight I felt so much better. Now, for the last week, I have been having these flu like symptoms, almost like a hangover. Mild headache, nausea, but an INCREASED appetite. Is this gluten withdrawel? If so, is it not kind of late for it too be happening? Mind you, I did have a few minor 'reglutenings' along the way, but last two weeks 100% gluten free. Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I hope for your sake it's not an additional intolerance. That happens to a lot of us. Maybe it's just some kind of "bug". But if it doesn't get better in a while you need to start keeping a food and symptom diary. The most common offenders are dairy, corn, soy, and sometimes nightshades. Some folks have trouble with legumes too. You could ditch them all until you find yourself feeling better, then add back one at a time. It's best to eat the trial food for three days in a row and then give yourself a week before trying another one.

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

I agree with Bartful but it also sounds like you could be going through withdrawal but it is pretty late in the game for gluten withdrawal. Depends on how frequently you got glutened. 

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

Some glutening symptoms can last up to a month or more.  It can take some time for everything to settle down again.  Also, there is no minor glutening.  Any amount will start the autoimmune cascade.  

I'm sure you'll be feeling better soon :)

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*Multiple AI Diseases

*General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

smiley-face-making-cocktail.gif

Join eNewsletter