Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

jddh

The big mistake: how long am I damaged for?

Rate this topic

So a year after my misdiagnosis of refractory disease, I am scheduled to liquidate my meagre assets and get back to the Mayo to see the brilliant celiac doctors for a follow-up scope. Specifically to ensure that my villi remain healed, as they were last year, on a scope shortly following the previous that caused all the misdisgnosis fracas. 

HOWEVER my wonderful girlfriend managed to buy two frozen pizzas tonight—one was gluten-free; the other was NOT. 

It's half past midnight and I am weathering the results. UGH. The good news is that I've been nauseous after eating for a year and I feared there was still somehow something going on despite being doggedly gluten free. Having just been glutened, I am reminded that, uh-uh, real glutening is COMPLETELY different. This matches my revised diagnosis from the Mayo: I have a functional gut issue that gives me some dyspepsia often after eating, but it ain't NOTHING like being glutened. 

But here's the thing: like I say, I'm supposed to go back to the Mayo in a month and a half to get a follow-up clean scope. But I've just eaten a couple slices of pizza that list wheat flour as their primary ingredient. 

So what's the consensus on how long it takes to heal, in terms of biopsy results? Of course I'll ask the Mayo folks now & see if I ought to reschedule, but if any of you fine folks have some good data or articles on the subject, I'd sure appreciate them. I have almost certainly been 100% gluten-free for a year prior to this mistake. 

33 y/o male

Celiac and proud since 2007 - endoscopy/biopsy

Confirmed HLA genes 2014

Strict gluten-free diet since diagnosis

Post-eating nausea despite diet began Aug 2014

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I would GUESS a couple of weeks will see you healed up.  A gluten challenge for a  biopsy is 2-4 weeks, so you should be okay in 6 weeks... I'm guessing though.  I hope you don't have to reschedule.

Feel better.

Oh! L-glutamine is supposed to help with healing of the intestines (and muscle recovery).  It might be worth a shot.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

I was glutened in July.  Confirmed antibodies were elevated by GI.  Took two months to feel better.  Took three months to get dairy back.  I suspect that you could say my intestines healed at three months based on my ability to digest dairy.  The worse thing?  I still do not have a clue as to what glutened me.  There are two suspected products but I am not willing to test them!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Thanks nvsmom—I expect you're right. It was two slices of pizza; not multiple meals. And my system ought to have been clean as a whistle before. Definitely can feel some gut burnout now a couple days later :( Not surprising. I've emailed The Man at the Mayo; see what he says.

Cyclinglady what a nuisance! Is that your normal healing window? I've been off the board for a while, so hadn't seen how your were doing. Yeah, I can understand dairy would be a good indicator. What are the suspect products? I still have some glutentox strips ;) 

33 y/o male

Confirmed HLA genes 2014

Join eNewsletter

Well it might have affected my biopsy, in any case it wasn't squeaky clean...:(

Updated my long story here if you're interested.

33 y/o male

Confirmed HLA genes 2014

Join eNewsletter