Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Rate this topic

Last night I made some Halloween cupcakes. I used Hodgson Mill gluten free yellow cake mix and added some halloween sprinkles to the batter. The sprinkles are the Cake Mate Halloween Mix. I didn't even consider the fact that they might have gluten in them until they were already in the batter, so I got the wrapper and double and triple checked each and every ingredient. I'm 99% sure that none of the ingredients have gluten in them, and I would assume that most sprinkles are gluten free, but I'm not sure. I also noticed that the food coloring i used for the frosting says that it may contain traces of wheat.. I've only been gluten free for two or three months so I'm guess I'm not quite used to checking every label and whatnot. Well last night I woke up 2-3 times with stomach cramps and chills, and when I woke up today I felt quite nauseous. I ended up taking some pepto bismol and I feel a bit better now, though my stomach still feels a bit 'off' and I still have the chills but not as bad. I do have a fan on so that might be why.. but when I turn the fan off I'm too hot! I also start to feel a bit sick and dizzy when I stand up. My reaction is not usually so bad, but i feel like since I went gluten free when I do accidentally eat gluten now the reaction is worse. But I've never had one like this so I'm not sure if I've been 'glutened' or if I'm actually sick. Help!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If the food coloring said it may contain traces of wheat, that was most likely what got you.

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

Your mantra from here on out is:

READ EVERY LABEL EVERY TIME.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter