Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

lissuhllama

Gluten Free Turkeys: 2015 Edition

Rate this topic

Earlier today while researching gluten-free Thanksgiving ideas, I found out to my dismay that turkey can contain gluten! This is my first year eating gluten-free for the holidays and my head is absolutely spinning. I eat an all natural, organic, gluten-free diet. I need help finding an organic gluten free turkey! I've heard butterball is gluten-free, but I'm worried what they're feeding the poor things. Does anyone have any ideas where I can find gluten free turkeys? 

Thanks in advance!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've never heard of a turkey with gluten. Sometimes they put a gravy packet in with them but just throw that away. The solution many turkeys are injected with may have corn in it, but no gluten.

And it doesn't matter what they feed the turkeys (from a gluten standpoint anyway). Even if they eat a diet of nothing but wheat, it does not get into the meat. We all eat turkey and don't get sick. Just use gluten-free bread for your stuffing and then thicken your gravy with corn starch. Get some gluten-free rolls or make some gluten-free cornbread (yum). Find some gluten-free pie crusts and bake away. Thanksgiving is going to be great this year!

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

I've been gluten free for 10 years, and have never come across a turkey that had gluten.  *Of course, a pre stuffed turkey or a gravy packet non withstanding.*

By law, any wheat ingredients (self basting turkeys for example) would have to be listed on the label.

I already have my Butterball in the freezer.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

We have purchased an fresh Amish turkey from one of our local meat markets for many years, before I was ever gluten free.   They cost probably double the price per pound and the first year my parents thought we were nuts, until they tried it.  Then they asked if we could get one for Christmas.    They are fresh and raised cage free and the "old fashion way" not force feed to be fat over night and it makes all the difference in the world in the taste.    I live it Florida they come from PA so they arrive the Monday before Thanksgiving  but I have already placed my order for the sizes I need.

Join eNewsletter